XS Power

using intellicharger with extension leads .

I noticed that in the instruction manual it advises not to use an extension lead with the intellichargers unless you absolutely have to .

well I have to so I have a noobish question.

I have the 15 amp version so does that mean it will draw 15 amps through the extension lead? I only have a extension lead rated for 13 amps so would it be unsafe to use ?

cheers

You pretty much answered your own question.

If the charger charges at 15 amps and your lead only supports 13 amps then no you shouldn't use it.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

after a bit of research it turns out that most mains sockets in the uk are only rated at 13 amps.

there is also a 10 amp fuse in the intellicharger so the input draw cant be more than 10 amps right ?

I need to know how many amps the intellicharger draws because it cant be 15 if there is a 10 amp fuse in it .

im confused !

its the xs power HF1215 15A 12 volt charger .

The 15 amp rating is for its charging output in DC Current which is to charge your batteries.

The 10amp fuse in the charger by the power plug input is to fuse the charger itself in case an issue arises. That fuse is fusing the 110volt AC input.

If you have to use an extension cord use one that is able to at least pass 10 amps of AC current, if your extension cord is for 13amps it should be fine.

I believe they are referring to not using the cheaper indoor 3/6/9 foot cords that are made out of sometimes 18-20gauge wire and can not handle the current.

Like these cords, which would be bad

aIndoor_Extension_Cords.jpg

Now if you where using a nice robust cord that is using 12-16 gauge wire inside it would be fine (depending on length of coarse).

These cords are normally rated right on the package saying the gauge size and max amperage allowed.

So you should have no issue with a cord like this

extension_cord.jpg

Hope that clears it up for you!