Sundown Audio

dc 9k went into protect.

moredbs

What you're describing sounds to me like a blown capacitor inside. They make a distinct pop.

is this something that just happens over time? is it serious?

I've seen them go at random. They can swell and pop. The bigger the cap, the bigger the boom. It's probably not that serious but may not be your root problem. It may be something else that led to the cap popping.

ok thanks for chiming in with more info! this was definitely imo random. and it was a big boom! I thought i hit something when i backed up,or tailgate fell down. i parked the truck and made sure i didn't hit something cause it freaked me out.I didn't see anything so i drove the van to work,thinking i was imagining something.

The amp would still turn on if the fuses were gone. The remote turn on is what powers the amp up.

Yes they still turn on I had this happen

I was just throwing out ideas leaving the amps broke as a last resort.

Im sorry your stoof broke and I hope its not alot to get it fixed up

Bad caps eh??

im gonna say its a capacitor that blew for whatever reason.i appreciate all the input an help. i did everything by the book on the install,with all the right tools,but electronics sometimes fail. it is what it is, at least i learned some stuff from you guys,thanks!

Would you consider when you reinstall this amp (or any other amp for that matter), using small rubber blocks in each corner? The ones I use are invisible to the sight and are about the same size as the length and width as the mounting tabs on the four corners of my amps. They work really well for dampening vibrations (road or bass) and also allow for some cooling to occur. They make it so I can pretty much fit my index finger under my amps which allows for some extra air flow. I only suggested this if vibration was considered one of the main culprits of your amps failures. Its too bad because that is one damn nice amp you have and its a shame that it failed like that. I wish you the best of luck in getting your situation resolved.

97 Buick LeSabre with stock 140 amp alternator

XS Power D3400 (under the hood) using pdb distro blocks

Big 3 done with 2/0 ga welding cable

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit

CT Sounds Meso 6.5" components

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Sky High 1/0 ga & 4 ga cable (plus fuse holders)

Connection BT2 & BT4 550 (Audison) RCA's

Bunch of Mojo Mat

Would you consider when you reinstall this amp (or any other amp for that matter), using small rubber blocks in each corner? The ones I use are invisible to the sight and are about the same size as the length and width as the mounting tabs on the four corners of my amps. They work really well for dampening vibrations (road or bass) and also allow for some cooling to occur. They make it so I can pretty much fit my index finger under my amps which allows for some extra air flow. I only suggested this if vibration was considered one of the main culprits of your amps failures. Its too bad because that is one damn nice amp you have and its a shame that it failed like that. I wish you the best of luck in getting your situation resolved.

yes,thats a small price to pay to help with vibration. I'm gonna definitely find a different way to mount the amp when i get it back. i don't want it touching the box at all.

Any amp, can shit the bed at any time.

it happens....

Its hard to hear when its "your baby", but, it happens. Happens a lot.

With a LARGE board, id not even mount it on the box........ the rubber "feet", i wouldnt even trust.

Find space.......just me.

Sorry I didn't mean mounting an amp to a subwoofer box. In my case, I have a piece of wood bolted to the floor pan of my trunk. Then I have my amps mounted to the board using the insulators between the amps and the board. I wont ever mount anything directly to my sub box.

97 Buick LeSabre with stock 140 amp alternator

XS Power D3400 (under the hood) using pdb distro blocks

Big 3 done with 2/0 ga welding cable

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit

CT Sounds Meso 6.5" components

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Sky High 1/0 ga & 4 ga cable (plus fuse holders)

Connection BT2 & BT4 550 (Audison) RCA's

Bunch of Mojo Mat

Archived