Second Skin Audio

Changing to a 4th order? Truth vs myths? Help

Jeff4661

Ok so I once again am changing box design instead of a ported I am going to go with a 4th order. I have been using winISD to help me plan this. Please keep in mind this is my first 4th order. Just wondering about a few things prior to desinging it all out

A few myths/questions I would like some answers on.

1) port tuning needs to be around 44-47hz for lows? WinISD shows my box would be -3db at 30-31hz truth? Opinions?

2) less subs,higher ratio is better than more subs in a smaller ratio box?

2 12s in a 1:3 ratio box will yield more output then 4 12s 1:2 ratio.. ( just examples)

3) higher ratio with less power is as loud as lower ratio more power?

4) how much port velocity is to much for a 4th order? My winISD box currently has around 65.5 ft/s or around 21m/s is that to much?

What is a good ratio for a loud daily/spl box? 1:2?

Thease are just a few I have been seeing lately if you guys could help clear the air of these myths?

Also here is a place I found some more information to maybe help some people on 4th orders

http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?1619-Thought-I-d-share-some-4th-order-design-info

Thanks guys,

my 4th order is a 1:2 ratio, its tuned to 47ish hz, one 18 and the whole thing takes up 10 cubic feet of room. It hits lows, its loud and i like it. dont know much else to be honest

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Can you post your specs from WinISD? I'd like to take a look.

My computer isn't hooked up to the internet... And I haven't figured out how to post pictures off of my smart phone

My computer isn't hooked up to the internet... And I haven't figured out how to post pictures off of my smart phone

Well if you just tell me what subs you are using, the rear & front volumes of your box, and the front tuning I should be able to do the rest.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Well if you just tell me what subs you are using, the rear & front volumes of your box, and the front tuning I should be able to do the rest.

Ok here is the sub specs

Subs are alpine bass line 12"s (for a budget build)

Spl: 87.6db

Re: 3.6ohm

Fs: 30hz

Vas: 67.8l(2.39cubic foot)

Qms: 7.07

Qes: .53

Qts: .49

sd: 452cm

Xmax: 10mm

Xmech: 52mm

Now the enlosure on winisd is as follows

Rear chamber is 9 cubic foot

Front is 18cubic foot 45hz tuning

The port I have setup is 10"wide by 30"

tall

Also I am going to use polyfill in the sealed section 1.5lbs per cubic foot gaining me 30% to get to 9 cubes

This is going in a 05 yukon.. the goal is to keep it behind the rear seats..I already removed the third row so I have the space I believe..

A thought I am having is to drop to 6 woofers instead Bcs of space issues?

Thanks

Thanks for the specs. I'll play around with them a bit when I get home tonight and report back.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok yea if u can find something that works well let me know.. also let me know if I can use all 8 12s or if I have to drop back to 6 I only have 48" between the wheel wells..

My absolute Max dimensions are

Width 48"

Hight 33"

Depth 32"

Gives me a little over 25 cubes gross

P.s. thanks a ton for helping man

This is my first 4th order an I just want everything perfect before I built the box

Tuning is based on sealed resonance. There is no hard and fast rule where tuning is "supposed" to be. It just happens to be that a ton of subs have a 40-50hz resonance in a sealed chamber of the sizes used in a single reflex.

Speaking of the sealed chamber... low end extension is dictated largely by the size of that side. Larger = lower f3 (usually). If a 30hz f3 is ok for your design goals, use it. If not, make the sealed side bigger. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns and you don't want to get too large.

Ratio... the larger the ratio... the larger the gain. But at the expense of bandwidth. Depending on the sub used, you may get a fat ass peak. Meaning... your response will look like a mountain instead of a plateau. I'm sure you've seen this in WinISD.

Personally... I prefer cone area to ratio.

Tuning is based on sealed resonance. There is no hard and fast rule where tuning is "supposed" to be. It just happens to be that a ton of subs have a 40-50hz resonance in a sealed chamber of the sizes used in a single reflex.

Speaking of the sealed chamber... low end extension is dictated largely by the size of that side. Larger = lower f3 (usually). If a 30hz f3 is ok for your design goals, use it. If not, make the sealed side bigger. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns and you don't want to get too large.

Ratio... the larger the ratio... the larger the gain. But at the expense of bandwidth. Depending on the sub used, you may get a fat ass peak. Meaning... your response will look like a mountain instead of a plateau. I'm sure you've seen this in WinISD.

Personally... I prefer cone area to ratio.

Could u elaborate on the cone area ratio? What specifically do you mean by that?

I've herd that 1/2 the cone are for the port area but Idk how much I trust that

Archived