betweenmatt Posted January 10, 2015 Report Posted January 10, 2015 Hey guys, I got some equipment from a friend for mad cheap, and I want to make my 50 dollars boom as loud as possible. I have 4 10" Alpine type-e's http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45534_Alpine-SWE-10S4.html and a kenwood kac-7201 http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DbWwEqbQSmu/p_113KAC7201/Kenwood-KAC-7201.html Currently the subs are in a sealed enclosure with two chambers. I know that my amp is quite a bit under powered for these subs, and I will be upgrading slowly, but I wanted to start with a ported enclosure. I can build it, I'm just not sure the best way to design it for maximum efficiency and boom boom. My car is a 1990 buick century. Subs will most likely be in the trunk, though I'm not too opposed to the cabin if it would make worlds difference. I have more than enough room in the trunk to make it work, so there are no serious size constraints. I'll be using 3/4" MDF. I'm not really sure what I should tune the box to, the website says the subs resonant frequency is 40hz but that seems a little too high to me, since I listen to bass heavy stuff decaf etc. Would tuning it lower be a bad idea? Thanks for reading!
Triticum Agricolam Posted January 10, 2015 Report Posted January 10, 2015 You got all that for $50? That's pretty good! I'd suggest tuning to 32-34 Hz. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
betweenmatt Posted January 10, 2015 Author Report Posted January 10, 2015 You got all that for $50? That's pretty good! I'd suggest tuning to 32-34 Hz. Yeah I was a little hesitant at first, but I felt up the drivers real good before buying them and everything seemed legit... I was not disappointed lol. I'm surprised you suggest tuning that low, the sub specs say the frequency response is 32-200 hz so I'm a little confused as to how all this works now lol. In the sealed box I have it in now, around 40hz really makes some noise, but once it gets lower I can barely hear the bass - but I can feel it in the steering wheel for sure.
808faka Posted January 10, 2015 Report Posted January 10, 2015 You got all that for $50? That's pretty good! I'd suggest tuning to 32-34 Hz. Yeah I was a little hesitant at first, but I felt up the drivers real good before buying them and everything seemed legit... I was not disappointed lol. I'm surprised you suggest tuning that low, the sub specs say the frequency response is 32-200 hz so I'm a little confused as to how all this works now lol. In the sealed box I have it in now, around 40hz really makes some noise, but once it gets lower I can barely hear the bass - but I can feel it in the steering wheel for sure. thats because you have it in a sealed box....make a proper sized ported box tuned around 32-34 and watch em come alive. my box is tuned to like 30 and i listen to alot of decaf, do not tune to 40 you will be dissapointed if you listen to alot of decaf.
betweenmatt Posted January 10, 2015 Author Report Posted January 10, 2015 You got all that for $50? That's pretty good! I'd suggest tuning to 32-34 Hz. Yeah I was a little hesitant at first, but I felt up the drivers real good before buying them and everything seemed legit... I was not disappointed lol. I'm surprised you suggest tuning that low, the sub specs say the frequency response is 32-200 hz so I'm a little confused as to how all this works now lol. In the sealed box I have it in now, around 40hz really makes some noise, but once it gets lower I can barely hear the bass - but I can feel it in the steering wheel for sure. thats because you have it in a sealed box....make a proper sized ported box tuned around 32-34 and watch em come alive. my box is tuned to like 30 and i listen to alot of decaf, do not tune to 40 you will be dissapointed if you listen to alot of decaf. Ok cool. Now when determining the size, the sub specs say max ported volume is 1.3 cubes, would going bigger than that hurt? and if not, at what point would it be bad?
FCS530 Posted January 10, 2015 Report Posted January 10, 2015 1.3 per sub sounds about right. 4 10s, 5ish cubes, tuned around 32. Definitely gonna want more power though. It's a slippery slope my friend! Next thing you know... Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing! 2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1) 2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4) 2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4) 2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2) 2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)
FCS530 Posted January 10, 2015 Report Posted January 10, 2015 Get yourself a higher quality amp, around 1200 watts, 1 ohm stable. Build the proper box, wire subs to 1 ohm. I think you will be shocked what they will do! Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing! 2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1) 2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4) 2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4) 2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2) 2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)
betweenmatt Posted January 10, 2015 Author Report Posted January 10, 2015 Get yourself a higher quality amp, around 1200 watts, 1 ohm stable. Build the proper box, wire subs to 1 ohm. I think you will be shocked what they will do! I'd love to man, I've been keeping an eye out for a solid second hand amp with more serious power, since I can't afford anything new lol.
Jeff4661 Posted January 11, 2015 Report Posted January 11, 2015 I just built a 4 10 enclosure actually lol we tuned his to 34hz he is running a 1500watt hifonics amp.. his is in a Toyota s10 like truck.. subs were type E's The subs are forward and ports up.. The box is just under 5 CuBes.. 4 4" areo ports.. box sounds good and makes clean bass I tuned with dd-1 and cc-1 Current build 05 Yukon SLT http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195350-jeffs-05-yukong-wall-build/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.