Mechman Alternators

How do you guys find the right belt length??

I just got my 240amp Mechman alt for my 2003 Toyota Highlander 3.0L and it is one beefy thing. I am going to put it in first thing this weekend! So pumped! I know after doing some research I need a smaller belt. So, I went to an autoparts store and figured out what my OEM belt length was then I got a belt 2in shorter. You think this will work? Is there a better way to go about determining the optimal belt length than just plugging and chugging?? Thanks :)

use a string....something that doesn't stretch to put around your pulleys and measure it.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

use a string....something that doesn't stretch to put around your pulleys and measure it.

X2

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

the string thing works when you have multiple alts that really changes the belt configuration.. if its just replacing the alt try half inch to an inch shorter

Just start with the next size down from your stock belt.

Edited by Broke_Audio_Addict

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

2 inches could be way too short.. i went with 1/4 inch shorter because autozone guys could not find a half inch or inch shorter belt.. it did fit but get belt slip when high rpm and shifting gears. i went to gatorback website and looked up the sizes and the one closet was 3/4 of an inch shorter. got the partnumber and ordered from it from amazon for $8. i also ordered a new tensioner with it. which was the original ac delco for the same price that autozone sales the duralast. delco is metal the autozone one was plastic. i saved $10 ordering from amazon and getting an original part

2 inches could be way too short.. i went with 1/4 inch shorter because autozone guys could not find a half inch or inch shorter belt.. it did fit but get belt slip when high rpm and shifting gears. i went to gatorback website and looked up the sizes and the one closet was 3/4 of an inch shorter. got the partnumber and ordered from it from amazon for $8. i also ordered a new tensioner with it. which was the original ac delco for the same price that autozone sales the duralast. delco is metal the autozone one was plastic. i saved $10 ordering from amazon and getting an original part

Just placed an order for two gatorback alt belts, one 1/4" shorter and one 1" shorter. There was not a half in version.