Perks of going to COLLEGE.

We were all guilty of the wire twisting around the speaker plug. Twisting no more. Looking back that's so ******ish. lol.

idtweet001_zps457e3871.jpg

Someone DEFINITELY has some humor at the factory!

idtweet002_zps7b468f66.jpg

Trying to figure out the tweeter positioning. If you look through the steering wheel, you'll see the I.D. CX128 tweet. I'm so used to this position, I def. want to try

the a-pillar.

idtweet003_zps00c9daf4.jpg

Pretty. I know it's not the correct crossover, but it's the biggest one I had, next to the Infinity Perfect 6.1 crossover.

idtweet004_zps1c885d95.jpg

The I.D.'s sound nice, but they need to be EQ'ed. Back in the day , I can't believe I did not believe in EQ's! lol.

I used to turn down the volume til the speaker didn't sound distorted, and that's how I ran. That was really dumb.

Now I love my Premier p960MP, and Devin's Kenwood x990 with their digital EQs. The DSP will be installed soon.

-Frank

Last pic of the night. This amp is nice. No turn on/turn off pop. When the gain is set to zero, the volume as truly attenuated. I'm so used to having a whisper level sound coming from the speaker with the gain down. I thought the amp was toast when I first hooked it up. Nope, guess that shows the tolerances the companies had for their equipment. The old PPI Black Art Series 404 did the same thing. Anyway, well worth the investment IMO.

lanzar001_zpse4981db9.jpg

-Frank

Today.....Tweeter Pods in the A-pillars. First attempt at this sort of stuff. Spent about an hour last night, and an hour today jammin' to rock music, figuring out the position.

I did some reading. Some say point it to the windshield, read another thread he competed in SQ and pointed his towards the rear view mirror, and another one put the tweeters behind the rear view mirror.

I'm going to try the first one. Thanks AJ11! Ear level. aiming to the windshield. While sitting in the driver's seat, with the tweet in the A-pillar, the driver's side tweet sounded nice and elevated -obviously. But when I sat in the passenger seat, wow, that driver's tweeter sounded alot nicer. Same thing when seating in the driver'sm seat, the pass. tweet sound reflected off the windshield. All in all, the A-pillar mounting took away that "in your face" tweeter hit, that you get if aimed right at you, which I also tried. In my Bimmer the tweets are in the stock Bimmer tweeter pod, they sounded horrible, because I only heard the driver's door tweeter, until I time aligned them with the pioneer. After that, I could hear the cymbals from the right side. This "A-pillar-windshield variance is different kind of imaging for sure. One that I am not used to.

A-pillars cost $6.25 a piece at LKQ...worst case scenario,....if I do not like the sound. $12.50 fixes that rather quickly!

tweeterpods005_zps30115f3f.jpg

On to the cutting.

tweeterpods003_zps7ad4a689.jpg

Scuffed up the plastic, and used 4 min epoxy to mount the rings or mounting plates. I will drill through the center AFTER I glass the ring/mounting plates in.

tweeterpods008_zps53087ca0.jpg

Can't get any more precise than this. Now to let them dry and put the door panels back on to kill time.

tweeterpods006_zpsa966025e.jpg

-Frank

nice work. looking good. i like how you tested positions for the tweet

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I taped the tweet to the door,

just above the speaker,

at the top edge of the door,

at the corners by the windshield edge,

at the edge of the pillar, flat pointing directly to the other pillar. Pillar looking at pillar,

at the top corner of the pillar looking down at the glass.

aiming the tweeters in these positions at the rear view mirror like the other thread said.

the driver tweet was too close sounding. clear, but too close sounding.

-Frank

Archived