Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

IB Set Up Questions


SQhaven

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey,

I've done some research but no one can clarify this, if there's a post explaining this, be awesome if someone could point me to it. I am interested in doing an IB set up, from what I gather you need a minimum of 4x vas but optimally 10x. The question is, does the back side(motor) have to be the side that is exposed to free air. I've seen set ups with the cones facing towards the back of the rear seats and are sealed off. But wouldn't that act as a sealed box? Because technically there's pressure being built between the cone and rear seats? Making it a none IB set up?

Something like this...

000_0030.jpg

Thanks again.

Posted

most I've seen remove the hard backing from the rear seats to eliminate that problem.

found this on http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/page3.php

rearseat.jpg

EDIT: I know this was for a Aperiodic setup, but same principle.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Posted

When I ran mine it was just thin foam and fabric in front of it like mentioned. But that was how that particular vehicle came--as a lightweight auto crosser (91 SE-R).

May have gotten a bit of cone control or aperiodic advantage from it, but not much at all. RTA and SPL numbers were nearly identical with and without the seatback in place.

Static drops are my bag.

Posted

Seriously considering an IB setup for my son's Impala (Older son Devin, not Dylan with the 88 ford truck)...

The system in the Impala is the one I won from SMD SOTM ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Posted

I really liked the sound of mine. It was three Celestion AD12s on 240 watts or so each. It did not get nearly as loud as those same subs on the same amp in a ported box in my next car, but definitely sounded good and very flat. Plus very little weight and trunk room sacrificed.

Tuning got funky when I'd throw my hockey bag back there though because it pretty much filled that whole trunk. Didn't care enough to meter it and change settings on the old EQL every weekend.

Static drops are my bag.

Posted

So from what I'm understanding, it's the motor that has to be in "free air" for it to be considered IB then? Or do both sides of the IB have to have 4x-10x Vas? Just curious here because, if one side of the IB is say 2x Vas then wouldn't it be considered "sealed". Just trying to wrap my head around this. Thanks again.

Posted

To make things easy ... You can only use a baffle and trunk area. No enclosure whatsoever ... Make since ???

You can go behind the seat or up on the back deck like the old 6x9s in an old Oldsmobile back in the day.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4682 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...