Second Skin Audio

Wall or rear port for a 4th order bandpass

rambronco

So I was getting ready to start my cuts for my 4th order in a 1999 Tahoe, was going to do a C-pillar box and retain the rear seats, but then......Go big or go home right? So now I have plenty of room to play with. The box will be for 2 18" Sundown Zv.4's. I have heard a few walls in my day but it has been some years now, over the years I seemed to prefer the sound of rear firing boxes in large vehicles and I cant tell you if thats because those boxes were designed better than the walls I heard or if there is an actual change in sound with a large cabin area of a rear firing box. Now that the seats are getting tossed i'll probably be looking for something in the range of 3:1 - 4:1 for the box and would like to hear what you guys think?

Thanks

RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

ZV4's are great bandpass subs.

The more ported volume you can fit the better.

Everyone here will tell you to stick to 2:1 because they're afraid of higher ratios. Your enclosure will still be very musical even up to 3.5:1 and possibly higher.

And typically for trunk cars, sub/port rear is going to sound best. In SUV's sub up/port back is going to sound best.

For two zv4 18's you're looking at 15-20 total cubes net that you'll need.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Thanks for the reply Raptor. Nothing final yet but looking at approx 6- 7 sealed, 24ish ported tuned at 39 ish. I am leaning toward port back.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

How much power?

Don't do port back. Wall it off and seal it off completely and do port forward.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Max power avail as far as I can tell (I have the subs but not the amp yet, but think I know what im going with) will be in the neighborhood of 7K, part of the reason im keeping the sealed side on the smallish side.

Port forward huh? Driver side port? why do you say wall vs. back?

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

Max power avail as far as I can tell (I have the subs but not the amp yet, but think I know what im going with) will be in the neighborhood of 7K, part of the reason im keeping the sealed side on the smallish side.

Port forward huh? Driver side port? why do you say wall vs. back?

Your sealed size is actually pretty big for two zv4 18's. For 7k i'd put them in 2.75 sealed net per.

Driver side port if you want it to meter well. Do center port if you want it to sound good for both people and not have any wonky loading/unloading problems with certain window/door configurations.

Wall is going to be better than having it back. Less cabin to pressurize, less stuff rattling/shaking/dissipating energy, etc.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Rarely is there have your cake and Eat it too but may just have happened. I gave up the notion of keeping rear seats all in the name of" bass" but with captains chairs it was difficult thinking about turning a 5 seater to a 2. With your suggestions I may do a C-pillar wall, with the added height should still have the room without issue, now.......what to do with the port? Port high to allow playing with the back seats up or port low and have the seats down for listening? Thanks for the input guys

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

Raptor, you talked about staying musical up beyond 3.5:1, for me the box would probably stay musical well past that. Now maybe with the Zv.4 might change my thoughts on the upper frequencies but I doubt it, I don't care for the higher stuff, my x-over is set at 50Hz and even though I don't have enough mid-bass for a good transition I prefer that sound as opposed to setting the x-over higher and hearing higher Hz through my subs.

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

Archived