808 shaggy Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 I'm using a port calculator on 12volt.com. my question is if I have a box volume of 3 cubic feet for example and want to tune to say 35 hertz, do I need to add the volume of the port to box? Say the port is 3x10 and 15 inshes deep plus 1 walls at. 75", does my box now need to be 3.28 cubic feet including the port? Or does the port volume come out of the box volume and it stays at 3.0 total cubic feet inside?
Kyblack76 Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 If your port EATS volume... then.. you best add to the enclosure.. Eh? EDIT- if i take a one cubic turd in your box..... then you may want to add to the overall to gain it back.. Right? SMD SUPER SELLER The Burban Build Blazer Build sold Acura trunk build sold
808 shaggy Posted February 8, 2015 Author Report Posted February 8, 2015 Well that's what I have done in the past when using spec. Books that come with the speakers, but I was not sure how the calculator program was set up and it didn't specify either way. Lol if you take a 1cubic turd you probably need to see a doctor
Mustang2dakota Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 I'm using a port calculator on 12volt.com. my question is if I have a box volume of 3 cubic feet for example and want to tune to say 35 hertz, do I need to add the volume of the port to box? Say the port is 3x10 and 15 inshes deep plus 1 walls at. 75", does my box now need to be 3.28 cubic feet including the port? Or does the port volume come out of the box volume and it stays at 3.0 total cubic feet inside? Kind of depends on the amount of space you have and your preference. If you have a 15cubic foot box and your port takes up 1cube then I'd say hell with it, it'll be fine. But if I had a 5 cubic foot box and my port took up 1cube I'd be adding onto my box. There is no "one way" to do anything. 2014 JKU Sound: pioneer xav-65 4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4 2 pioneer gm-d9601 (much more in route) General: 18in worx rims 33in tire stinger src bumpers light bars 6k hids 2in leveling kit 3.25in lift The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/
808 shaggy Posted February 8, 2015 Author Report Posted February 8, 2015 Ya it also changes the tuning/vent length when you change the volume, which makes me wonder if they take that into consideration. If you already have your volume than it creates a vicious cycle.
kirill007 Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 I'm using a port calculator on 12volt.com. my question is if I have a box volume of 3 cubic feet for example and want to tune to say 35 hertz, do I need to add the volume of the port to box? Say the port is 3x10 and 15 inshes deep plus 1 walls at. 75", does my box now need to be 3.28 cubic feet including the port? Or does the port volume come out of the box volume and it stays at 3.0 total cubic feet inside? Kind of depends on the amount of space you have and your preference. If you have a 15cubic foot box and your port takes up 1cube then I'd say hell with it, it'll be fine. But if I had a 5 cubic foot box and my port took up 1cube I'd be adding onto my box. There is no "one way" to do anything. Red: And you are "building" boxes for a friend? Green: Yes, there is, any volume that isn't net airspace needs to be added to the total volume of the enclosure. (subwoofer displacement needs to be taken into consideration too for example) Unless you don't care about the sound you are going for. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
kirill007 Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 Ya it also changes the tuning/vent length when you change the volume, which makes me wonder if they take that into consideration. If you already have your volume than it creates a vicious cycle. No, every program/formula uses net volume, it assumes a external port unless specified. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
808 shaggy Posted February 8, 2015 Author Report Posted February 8, 2015 Thanks Kirill, that's the kind of answers I was looking for
Mustang2dakota Posted February 8, 2015 Report Posted February 8, 2015 I'm using a port calculator on 12volt.com. my question is if I have a box volume of 3 cubic feet for example and want to tune to say 35 hertz, do I need to add the volume of the port to box? Say the port is 3x10 and 15 inshes deep plus 1 walls at. 75", does my box now need to be 3.28 cubic feet including the port? Or does the port volume come out of the box volume and it stays at 3.0 total cubic feet inside? Kind of depends on the amount of space you have and your preference. If you have a 15cubic foot box and your port takes up 1cube then I'd say hell with it, it'll be fine. But if I had a 5 cubic foot box and my port took up 1cube I'd be adding onto my box. There is no "one way" to do anything. Red: And you are "building" boxes for a friend? Green: Yes, there is, any volume that isn't net airspace needs to be added to the total volume of the enclosure. (subwoofer displacement needs to be taken into consideration too for example) Unless you don't care about the sound you are going for. hahaha, that came out kind of wrong. Of course you would have change things around if you didn't add onto your box. guess i left the important part out 2014 JKU Sound: pioneer xav-65 4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4 2 pioneer gm-d9601 (much more in route) General: 18in worx rims 33in tire stinger src bumpers light bars 6k hids 2in leveling kit 3.25in lift The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.