Homemade AK magazine benchloader, aka Maglula benchloader

After looking at Maglula's AR benchloaders and lusting over them, I came to the conclusion I neither want to spend that much on one nor have much faith in them embracing our market.

So, yesterday, I decided to see what a redneck in a wood shop could manage.

Inspiration.
5qwc3xQ.jpg

First attempt didn't work, the radius was too tight causing the rounds to bind. Would only load 15 rounds at a time.
hltgjIhl.jpg
yVXQG9ql.jpg

So, onto version 2. This loader is substantially larger, but the radius of the loading ramp is much shallower. This leads to the initial round or to going into the mag butt first, but they straighten out on the follower and it hasn't been an issue. 30 rounds at a time no stopping. Part of the key was the shallow arc, the rest was some Bondo right where the feed ramp intersected the magazine to get the ramp perfect with no opportunity for the rounds to hang. That, and judicious sanding to minimize friction.

mjSzXnKl.jpg

Quick vid of it in action.

Comments are welcome. I know plenty question the usefulness of benchloaders over normal hand loading, but it was a garage project and turned out well.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Anything to keep 80 bucks in my pocket! Love it man

The benchtop loaders like this one are a big investment, I've seen $200 and up. Their one huge benefit to me is since they load rounds directly into the center of the mag between the feed lips, less wear and tear (particularly with polymer mags like I use.) Also less strain on the hands and thumbs when I load 5 30 round mags for a range day (the 75 round drum is a hand load only.)

Funny part is all the wood is leftover from box builds, the 1/2" plywood is a cut off from my bench top. Already had a bead nailer and Titebond to glue everything. Cost me nothing out of pocket to build.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

Archived