Financial Mistake--Team Droppin' Hz--'10 Taurus Trunk Wall--Oval box COMPLETED--Video added (5/30/16)--DC Audio, PRV, Crescendo

I am going to ask a couple of questions about your car if you dont mind, So your car is a sho? correct? It has the sho rear wing so I magine it is and it would also come with the sony system. is this also correct? You have a jl audio clean sweep. did you hook up the unit pre or post amplifier?

I have a 2014 sho and just upgraded my doors, I bought 8" subs for the back dash that eventually be used for the 75hz-150hz range once I build my sub box.

After checking woring diagram after wire diagram and actually checking the harness I have found what I think provides the best possible non dsp'd signal from the head unit.

are you using the volume control on the cleen sweep?

To answer your questions...

No my Taurus is not the SHO. The rear spoiler was added on after I bought the vehicle. My car does (did) have the 12 speaker Sony system. Check out this post for some more info on the install of the CleanSweep and Signal Summing Interface. I ended up removing the CleanSweep and the SSI because I felt like I wasn't getting the results that I should be getting. As for the volume control on the CleanSweep I only used it when I did the calibration. I set it about 1/2 to 3/4 volume and left it threre. From there you can use the headunit to control your volume.

So Slamology didn't quite go as planned for me. I got up there I started having issues with everything. I could play, but couldn't play full tilt but for maybe 30-45secs. This is something that had just happened. The day previous I had taken everything out and swapped the internal box wiring and the wiring from the box to the amp from 12g to 8g and everything had worked fine before. Turns out that my ground run from my distro block in the trunk to the secondary battery had come loose from the distro and was grounding out causing the amp to go into protect.

I didn't worry about qualifying on Saturday because I knew that they would have last minute qualifying the next morning. Well that didn't happen either. Had some new people running it this year and you had to have some sort of blue ticket in order to qualify on the second day. Oh well.

I did however get to do some testing with a buddy's TermLab. Found out the car peaks at 41hz and burps @ 142.1. I find that fairly respectable for what I have into the build and the power I am running. If I were to leave things as they are I could bass race 139.9 and probably do pretty well. Ran a test run playing Beamer, Benz, or Bently and had a score of 139.93. Might do fairly well.

Next step is to look into running more power. I need to figure out what to do with my alt. I (Jeff) spoke with Singer about replacing mine and he can't do anything less than a 370 due to the style of the alt that it is. He did say that I could send him my stock alt, he could tear into it and externally regulate it, and I could get a little more power out of it. I really don't want to have to spend $700 on a alternator when that money could be spent on a couple batteries or another amp. Any ideas?

Working on a trade with a local Hoosier. Planning on trading my SQ for his DC 3.5k. Straight trade. Be nice to have all matching equipment.

I need to redo all my wiring in the trunk in order to allow me place the amp right side up. In order to do it all right I gotta drop another $200. Damn my OCD!

• 3 weeks later...

So my trade went through for the DC 3.5k. Can't say I was completely happy with the trade. Upon getting there, he brought the amp over to me so I could take a look at it and I just went ahead and started installing it because I had already pulled the SQ. As I was installing it I noticed that the RCA side sideplate was missing 3 of the 4 screws! Wasn't real happy about it by any means, but we both had driven a hour to meet up with each other to do this trade. The kid said he honestly didn't realize that they were missing. He had bought the setup from someone else and he was just looking to trade to get all matching equipment.

Couple days go by and I go back to check out the amp because the bass knob stopped working and I notice that there is another screw missing out of the other sideplate! Not only is there a screw missing but as I mentioned previously, the remote plug in for the bass knob stopped working so now I'm gonna have to order a LC1 and control it that way.

I did however get all the screws replaced in the sideplates with some machine screws that I stole from work. I had to retap the holes in the case because the screws that come in the sideplates from the build house are a M3, but coarse thread which I found odd. As I was doing this I also found out that the slave input is also broken. Luckily enough this is little stuff that can be dealt with, but I definitely didn't get the good end of the deal.

0707150150.jpg

0707150151.jpg

And some amp guts just because I could...

0707150159.jpg

0707150159a.jpg

07071502002.jpg

Definitely following this build awesome clean work ! looking to get a newer car this fall and have thought hard on one of these newer Taurus's . Out of curiosity to see what possibilities i could have if you don't mind sharing what are the back seat opening dimensions? I know they have huge trunks but would like to know if 2 18's would fit side by side ?

Definitely following this build awesome clean work ! looking to get a newer car this fall and have thought hard on one of these newer Taurus's . Out of curiosity to see what possibilities i could have if you don't mind sharing what are the back seat opening dimensions? I know they have huge trunks but would like to know if 2 18's would fit side by side ?

Only way to do 18s is to come further back in the trunk. The height of the trunk opening is only 14" roughly so even 15s are out of the question, unless once again you scoot the box back. These trunks have a lip that stands a couple inches tall so it really makes it a bit of a PITA because you either have to lose your trunk or do as I did and basically build a pedestal for the back of the box to sit on in order to keep the box as far forward as possible. If you really didn't mind losing your trunk 2 15s maybe even 18s would be possible. Definitely would have the room for 15s, might run into cubic space issues running 18s.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually did a little bit of work on the car today. Got with Trent and we put a second baffle on the box, which it needed severely. We also made panels to "seal off" the box. It's not perfect, but it not not perfect enough where I'm gonna lose anything substantial. Then I wrapped the entire front of the box with the remaining suede that I used on my A pillars I think it came out looking pretty good, if you ask me.

0814151716.jpg

0814151750.jpg

0814151916b.jpg

Giggity

Archived