Ok, help me pick: On Axis or Off Axis (fiberglass dash pods)

Colin - STAPUFT

are you opposed to just ripping the whole dash out and building a new one? I know thats a huge amount of work, but maybe it will get you where you need to go. I had one of those astro vans and i understand the space you are working in. Good luck

Hells yea brother ... this is what needs to be done. You can always reinstall your origional dash back later ...

Heres the new plan ... 8 and tweet at the far corners of the dash / a-pillar area ported and tuned flat response around 40 htz with the external ports T-lined to the center channel area.

Give you a real reason to go multiple 32 band parametric !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Time to buy a "new" old Astro and some more blades for the saws-all then. lolz

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Dang, thats nice !!! Anyone notice the angle setup on this ??? Neither on axis or off axis ...

Look like they were going for maxium width as well as stage depth ... impressive

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

You need some pods similar to these so you can play with how different positions sound, before actually making the glass pods. This is my car, im going with the third option. I have less room than you due to windshield slant, so you'd have more options.

Pod1.jpg

Pod2.jpg

Pod3.jpg

What you need to do is perform an air conditioner vent delete on both sides of your dash and replace them with 5.25" drivers. Looks like the angles would almost be perfect.

... had a good look at a car similar to yours today ...

something like this ? not your car but

FB_IMG_1426792472614_zpspg8ujgms.jpg

Money. You are right Randall about the angles... and has the tweeters back just a bit behind the woofers- keeps the phasing and time alignment issues to a minimum.

Oh and Screw you Randall for putting ^ that in my head. As I drive 1,200 miles a week, now all I do is think of how the van would look with a gutted and custom dash. lol. BUT NO.

58703264.jpg

But I'm about to get crackin' again to see what I can come up with. I've also been toying around with the idea of putting the tweeters in some sort of wave guide or doing some baffle alterations around the tweeter.

Just for giggles I listened to one of the tweeters (in hand) and then listened to it after putting it in one of these:

044549050096.jpg

You may not be able to tell from the photo, but it is oblong and has a sharper angle on one side than the other. As ridiculous as it seems... the tweeter "sounds" to play lower (with nothing changed- no volume change, no eq, nothing)- and not just a little bit. Vocals become clearer because the lower frequencies sound like they get some help.

What this means: After a bit more testing and IF I can cut them (or something similar) down and make them fit... it will lower the perceived frequencies- giving better integration of the tweeter and the mid, less eq necessary, don't have to run the equipment as hard, bla, bla, bla...

Hey... it's raining and miserable outside- sounds like a great time to mess with the stereo.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Got a new phone- LG G3 takes really good pictures.

11079540_10202673083026521_5588604061302

10862725_10202673083066522_2923399386868

Found some black plastic oblong funnels.

1613984_10202673083266527_30550784687961

Le Cut.

And now this abomination...
11080389_10202673084146549_3203274456113

10869765_10202673084266552_1421887554141

As crazy as it looks, it sounds good. Infinitely better than where they were before in a "flush" mount. Also- they are much happier with the -6db crossover caps -vs- the passives I was using. Before they were really thin, too high of a crossover point with too sharp a drop. With just the tweeters and 8" door speakers it did well- but still missing my midranges.

Toying around with the idea of diffraction rings over the midranges. Something to act as a diffraction ring but function as a grill.

I did get more fiberglassing done- also got the wooden baffles braced up a bit more and have them covered with a layer of resin. Maybe tomorrow I will be able to pull the fiberglass out, trim it down, and mount the baffles to the fiberglass. ....so much more glassing, filler, and sanding coming up. brrrr...

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Ok-

I may use the single 4" speaker for Rear Fill. Reasons for that are 1: I don't need the center up front (of course, Cableguy is right) :D , 2: I *may* need a tad of rear fill, and 3: it is ugly. Really ugly. It isn't like the L & R are pretty by any means, but it really seems to stick out even more than the pods on the left and right.

Anyway- a quick 1 minute vid of the fitment of the pods. Not done by any stretch- lots of trimming, filling, sanding, then the finishing to do. I also have to measure and match internal volumes. I have put some internal braces inside the pods- made the a lot stronger.

https://youtu.be/Sk7TlsDhliw

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived