2007 Escalade build "The Basscalade"

I have a question for the people with the dual alternator setups. Do I need ground the second alternator case to the battery? My audio is separate from the factory charging system.

Where are you planning to ground it? Depending on the way you are mounting it it would be grounded through the other alt.

I have a question for the people with the dual alternator setups. Do I need ground the second alternator case to the battery? My audio is separate from the factory charging system.

Where are you planning to ground it? Depending on the way you are mounting it it would be grounded through the other alt.
I plan on grounding it through the alternator mounting bolts. But I heard it's was not necessary because the bracket is bolted to the engine block grounding the alternator?

I plan on grounding it through the alternator mounting bolts. But I heard it's was not necessary because the bracket is bolted to the engine block grounding the alternator?

If you have two separate charging systems then do the big 3 like normal on the second alt. The ONLY 2 things the alts will have in common is the belt (and of course the frame/body of the vehicle)

Big 3 upgrade as normal:
Alternator ground to chassis/frame
Battery ground to chassis/frame (I like to use a common ground location for the two of these)
Alternator positive to battery positive. You'll hear mixed opinions on this, but personally I like to fuse this one too
Another thing, the facotry charge wire should always come last on the alt stud. 1/0 wire runs should go on first.
Hold, I will go take a pic. of mine, because separate charging systems...

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Yes, under my hood needs some attention this summer, meh

took these pics. 2 min. ago

SAM_0979_zpsxjexzkli.jpg

SAM_0980_zpspm7il6ju.jpg

SAM_0982_zpsg95ysizr.jpg

SAM_0981_zpshkmpja2h.jpg

I guess you can't see it but those two grounds down low go to the frame where i cleaned it off real nice

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Yes, under my hood needs some attention this summer, meh

So do your alternator have ground bolt? Or what dI'd you do?

took these pics. 2 min. ago

SAM_0979_zpsxjexzkli.jpg

SAM_0980_zpspm7il6ju.jpg

SAM_0982_zpsg95ysizr.jpg

SAM_0981_zpshkmpja2h.jpg

I guess you can't see it but those two grounds down low go to the frame where i cleaned it off real nice

Oh, sorry, the bolt that holds alternator in is where the one ground goes to. Even if you only had stock alt the grounding point would be the same. As you said, it's mounted to engine/frame anyway.

Also, i get ZERO alt whine, both systems charge like a boss.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Oh, sorry, the bolt that holds alternator in is where the one ground goes to. Even if you only had stock alt the grounding point would be the same. As you said, it's mounted to engine/frame anyway.

Also, i get ZERO alt whine, both systems charge like a boss.

You are the freaking man!! THANKS!! Did you scrap the alternator housing or can I just add the wire?

If you look in my first pic. the alternator on the left (stock) has two mounting bolts, the bolt on the Right actually has an engraving saying grounding location or something like that. Because of that my alt(s) do not have their own grounding stud per say.

I don't think it would matter to scrape it but it also wouldn't hurt, since you can easily do it now I would scrape it just for piece of mind.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Archived