I’m going to paint a few engine parts on my 450 with VHT enamel. Says to let it dry overnight then bake at 220°F for 20 mins. Now maybe the oven in the kitchen isn’t the best place to do that but the only thing I can see being a problem is making a nasty, lingering smell.

So has anybody done this in their kitchen? Did it leave a bad smell? The instructions also say that the heat of the engine (with the freshly painted part on it) does the trick as well, but I’d like to try out the oven, that seems like the more controllable way of doing it.

Normally, I wouldn’t give a fuck, but the gf might not be very impressed if the next batch of cookies smells like enamel…

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Yeah, pretty sure your oven/house is going to wreak like paint for a while.

How big are the parts?

Something you need a full size oven for, or maybe could fit in a large toaster oven?

Most of what I can find online and from people I know that have to bake parts for paint or glue, have a separate shop oven they do it in to not fuck up their actual oven. It's not that the cookies with be weird once, its that the chemicals you're baking off the part are going to bake into the oven and anything you cook for a while is going to be fucked up.

I wouldn't do it in your house oven.

I've used the exact same vht paint and not once have I put it in the oven like it says and I've never had an issue with it.

Hell I sprayed some calipers with it and the paint hasn't come off yet going on 3 years now.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The parts aren't that big, but then again I don't know if they would fit in a toaster oven.

I could try putting the parts on the engine, but that is assuming all of the parts are going to even get hot enough. There are a few little engine mounts and covers that probably wont reach engine temp.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

It gets warm enough anywhere under the hood if you let it just sit and idle.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Well, if you've used it and had good results without baking it then I guess there not too much to worry about

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Just make sure you clean the parts very good.

Is sand blasting too much?

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

No such thing as cleaning it to good when it's a greasy old engine part.

• 2 weeks later...

No such thing as cleaning it to good when it's a greasy old engine part.

X10000. Your prep work is going to make the greatest impact on your final result.

Hell I sprayed some calipers with it and the paint hasn't come off yet going on 3 years now.

That says a lot!

It wasn't car parts, but I've sprayed other large metal items and stuck them in my home oven. Like 400 degree for 15-20 mins. Zero lingering smell and the paint was hard as a rock. Certainly helped in my case.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived