Second Skin Audio

rockford fosgate punch p2 15 inch box options

mcocagne3

Sure, you can put any sub in a bandpass box. Now whether or not a bandpass box will perform well for your application is an entirely different matter.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

how do i know if a bandpass box would would preform well for my application?

You need to tell us about your application.

What vehicle do you have? What amp are you using? What are your goals for the system? How much space do you have? What kind of bandwidth/frequency response do you want? What do you think a bandpass box will do that a different kind of box won't?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

My vehicle is a 2007 jeep commander I currently have the sub on 300 watts rms in a borted box but i am looking to either put it in a bandpass box or build a nother ported box that will fit better in the back of my jeep. my goals for the system is a clean install with nice sound and deep bass

Do you know what the specs are on the ported box you currently have? What exact amp are you using?

Here is a couple things to think about. Changing out to a 400 watt amp is probably going to be a waste of money. If the amp you have now puts out a real 300 watts, you will never hear the difference between 300 watts and 400 watts. You need to at least double the power if you want to actually hear a difference.

The sub you have really isn't meant for ported boxes. It has a really low EPB (29), low Fs, and higher QTS. All of these attributes make it much more appropriate for a sealed box. You just aren't going to get good sound out of that sub in a ported box no matter what you do. You don't have to take my word for it either, if you look on Rockford's webpage for that sub, you will see under their "BoxAdvisor" that they recommend it goes in a sealed box. The problem with a sealed box is while it will almost definitely make the sub sound better, its not going to make it sound louder.

Given your goals of nice sound and deep bass my suggestion to you would be to sell that sub and get something more appropriate for a ported box. Subs that will work well in ported boxes and are roughly in the price range of your P2-15 are an SSA Dcon 15, FI X15, and Alpine SWS-15.

If you want to upgrade your amp I'd go up to something in the 750 watt range (or higher if budget permits). Both Rockford and Soundqubed have good 750 watt amps for reasonable prices.

Builds:

Archived