Need some advice on a mids/highs setup

Shenker

Hey guys, im looking to start planning some pods for my suburban now that the sub stage is nearly finished, I have been reading through here for a while before posting but mids/highs are something i have never really looked at much before i had a system big enough to warrant needing them. So my plans are for (2) 6.5"s and a tweeter in each door pod, and another tweet in the stock position A-pillar mount. running off of probably a Crecendo 800.4 or similar since im going the crescendo route for sub amps. what would be some recommendations for component setups (from what i have read those are the way to go) to get me some good volume on the vocals? what about super tweeters? yea or nea? I was also debating sqeezing maybe an 8" + 6.5" + tweet in each pod but to be honest I don't know what would be the better option.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

(2) 6.5s is plenty for most heavy bass applications. You probably would be ok with one good tweeter per side.

Depends on the music you listen to however.

Are you running active or using passive crossovers.

x2 on this.

Start out with a single tweeter. It's so much easier to add more if you need than to take away. As far as good speakers, it's really up to your ears. Don't let anyone else talk you into something they like. Hear stuff for yourself and trust your ears.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Also you may want to look at the type of driver.

Theres a big difference from a pro audio driver and a standard car audio driver. If you don't know the difference I would go with a good component setup with a passive crossover first. Then later on when you have things sorted out and you end up rebuilding...because you most likely will you can add a mid-bass and do a active setup or a 3-way setup.

So basically make it simple first and work your way up. Set your gains correctly and make sure the tune is good before moving to the next step.

Hey thanks for the replys, music is anything, literally, led zeppelin and sabbath to gucci. Probably passive cross overs.

So say I got 2 component sets, such as the crescendo mezzo components, should I bother with the second tweeter even if its available? In that case the 800.4 is overkill Specs are 150w RMS per set at 4ohms, and the 550.2 seems much more appropriate for it.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

2 per door? as in 2 component sets per door?

IMHO I would say thats overkill. Start with 1 and then scale up if you really want more mids and highs.

And as far as amp selection 150 wouldn't be bad per component set. Then you have some bandwidth to play with and you can get the same output without taxing the amp. I would go with a different amp however.

Also not sure about the mezzos, I have never run them but it seems like a decent amount people on here have. I would ask around see what the impression is of them. A lot of folks run rockford comps and really seem to like them for SPL applications and just build quality and longevity.

2 per door? as in 2 component sets per door?

2 as in 2 component sets total. 2 6.5s/tweet per side.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

• 4 weeks later...

Going to bring this thread back, Im thinking about starting to collect goodies for the doors, Ive been re-thinking components and im not so sure on the component sets to use, The mezzos are now discontinued so I need to look elsewhere. I have been thinking about picking up 2 sets of Alpine Type R sets and an Alpine 4 Channel to mess around with but I just cant justify $349 (local price) for a component set that I havent heard much about, at least from what ive seen on here they seem to be fairly entry level. Any opinions on them? Im lost as to what else to use?

Im planning on buying 2 sets right off the bat and putting one set in the front doors and one in the back in stock locations until I get the pods built, at which point ill buy another set for the front. This will be (4) 6.5"s in the front doors (2 per door), and (4) tweets in the front (1 A-Pillar mount, and 1 door mount per side), and (2) 6.5"s and (2) tweets for the rear doors (one of each, in each door) when it is finished.

Ive decided against rear "pods" im instead going to basically kitty-hair, body-fill, and paint the stock bose grills to give a flush mount instead while still giving a stock fit.

My only concern is not having enough power to supply a total of 3 component sets, this is where I could use some more help, I really dont know what to power all this with, 2 smaller amps? perhaps a 4 channel for the front 2 sets and a 2 channel for the rear? I really dont know what the best option would be for power.

EDIT: I should add that I heard my buddys fosgate T4/T5 sets In his yukon a few days ago, first of those sets I have heard, they KILLED the mids/highs, but I feel like I could get more bang for the buck somewhere else. The stage was set really low (all in the lower door panels) so it was hard to determine what they would sound like aimed up a bit more but they sounded really good in my opinion.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW