problem with alternator or wiring

ok i just got a new truck 2001 gmc sierra 6.0 L i took my mechman g series 270 amp alt that is maybe 4 months old off my 1999 sierra 5.3 L to swap on the new truck when i start the truck volts high like above 15 and if i rev engine volts drop and all cab lights and head lights dim. Once truck is warmed up it seems to be normal voltage and slight light dimming i have big 3 done in sky high ofc and a xs d3400 as starting battery .i have not installed my extra batts yet witch is 3 more c&d dynastys MR400s i have not changed any thing with the electrical it has stock sterio ,speakers ,ect. ive also noticed i blew my cig lighter/obd port fuse like 3 times without any thing plugged in it. any help would be great

Measure voltage directly at the alt when this happens and report back. Multi meter, negative to alt casing, positive to charge stud.

Hows your belt tension?

Call mechman see what they say about it. Maybe bad voltage regulator had something similar happen to my Ohio gen ho alt.

Also like snow drifter said check belt tension.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

i checked voltage at the alt with truck running its charging at 14.2 at alt and batt with truck off battery rest at 13.6 this was done with truck warmed up im gonna wait a while to let it cool then test when volts are high and compare. belt tension and tensioner seem fine im using a gates belt on it

i checked voltage at the alt with truck running its charging at 14.2 at alt and batt with truck off battery rest at 13.6 this was done with truck warmed up im gonna wait a while to let it cool then test when volts are high and compare. belt tension and tensioner seem fine im using a gates belt on it

i got the 3/4 shorter belt from gates it was impossible to get on so i went and got one a lil bit bigger and it went on pretty easy it is also a gates just next size up

the voltage regulator is the first thing that came to mind it has an internal one

I had to use 1.2 inches smaller to avoid slippage.. It too was was to put on but figured it out and didn't struggle and went on quick. If you have belt slip you will find slight belt residue all over the alt and pulleys after a week. A month or 2 it will be more noticeable

When was the last time you had the tensioner replaced? They go bad after a few belt replacements. They might seem to work properly but they are not..I replaced my tensioner together with the alternator

Other things to consider is idle rpm and crank pulley size.if your alt is not hair pin it takes more rpm to put out a good amount of amperage.. A conventional alternator with a car idling at 600 rpm will suffer at idle..I switched to hairpin and will not go without it now..I will be upgrading my alts on all my builds with hairpin

• 2 weeks later...

ok pulled my alt today to get ready to send it to mechman, i drove truck today before doing so and there was a terrible squeeling when i slow down or take off ,beside voltage drop under heavy rev and acceleration is my other issue . when i pulled alt today i noticed black residue building up behind the belt pulley area it is a brand new gates belt the third one ive put on and a brand new gates tensioner ,is belt slip causeing my problem i woundnt want to send it in if there is nothing wrong with it

Archived