Running secondary battery

Hello SMD Forum,

Stupid question, I have a normal 12v battery up front that my alternator powers, then I have a secondary battery in the back (with a power wire running from the 12v battery to the secondary (shuriken 20ah battery)) now, Will any conflicts be caused due to this? I guess I don't have much experience with batteries. Is it a good or bad thing to run my 12v battery to power the shuriken battery? The reason why I ask is because I am thinking about upgrading to a xs d1600 and that would be another question, could I run my 12v battery to power the 16v xs battery?

No problems with your current setup, provided they are both AGM and of similar resting voltage.

As to running a 16v battery and a 12v battery together, don't. It will be something around 17.3v when fully charged. One of two things will happen. You'll hook it up and see blue smoke from your equipment. Or you'll hook it up, it will backfeed into your 12v battery, overcharging it and draining the 16v leaving you with 2 dead/bad batteries

Get a bigger 12v battery then, not a higher voltage one.

Lets start from the top:

1. Why do you believe you need more batteries?

2. Give me a rundown of your equipment, batteries, alternator amperage, and wiring used

3. What is your current voltage drop? Turn your system up and measure it at both the front battery and you amplifier (just touch the leads on your multi meter to the set screws)

Get a bigger 12v battery then, not a higher voltage one.

Lets start from the top:

1. Why do you believe you need more batteries?

2. Give me a rundown of your equipment, batteries, alternator amperage, and wiring used

3. What is your current voltage drop? Turn your system up and measure it at both the front battery and you amplifier (just touch the leads on your multi meter to the set screws)

So the reason why I would think I need a bigger battery is to store more power in the rear to power my amps. instead of relying so much on the main battery that is up front: battery up front is a Duralast 800a 650cca which has 0 gauge power wire ran to the rear to my secondary battery (Shuriken 20ah) which is grounded in the rear. Off of the shuriken battery I have a 0 gauge power/ground wire running to the skar t2000.1d amp and a 4 gauge power/ground wire ran to the Rockford r250x4. The skar amp is pushing x2 1000rms/2000w American bass xfl's 10" subs. and the 4 channel is powering my 2 door and 2 rear deck speakers of course. I have yet to do the big 3 (coming up soon, if needed) oh and also I am running with the stock alt which is 110a.

Archived