Second Skin Audio

2vs3 subs

dmel

Hello SMD Forum,

I currently have dual XFL1022's running off a skar audio T2000.1D amplifier. Well, since they are 2-ohms a piece I cannot wire them down to 1-ohm load. so therefore if I got a 3rd one, I could wire them down to a 1.3 ohm load. my question is, would having the 3rd subwoofer be worth the extra bass? or would it really not make that much of a difference because the amplifier has to power 3 subs now instead of 2, so would that lower the amount of rms going to each sub? or would that increase the amount of rms going to each sub due to them being wired down to a 1.3ohm load?

You gain a little from cone area, you lose a little from impedance matching, Output wise I wouldn't say it would be a compelling upgrade for the lost space and added effort, if you are only looking for a little extra may be worth a try, now, if your current box is not too good and changed for a better one and you increased power to 3K+ @1.33 ohm then it could be really worth it.

The most important thing would be rebuild a box for 3 subs but to an efficient spec, say 1.5 cubic feet net per driver and proper port area at your tuning, and then you can even put above 1K per driver, maybe a SAZ-3500D for example.

This is only to answer your question 2 or 3 subs, depending on your vehicle and other factors it could be better to do an entirely different thing, like 2 18s for example. 3 10s would make sense in a trunk car.

You gain a little from cone area, you lose a little from impedance matching, Output wise I wouldn't say it would be a compelling upgrade for the lost space and added effort, if you are only looking for a little extra may be worth a try, now, if your current box is not too good and changed for a better one and you increased power to 3K+ @1.33 ohm then it could be really worth it.

If he was wiring to 2ohm and not .5ohm. He'd gain alot by adding and extra sub. More cone area and the amp seeing a lower ohm load.

Gosh, 1000$ is quite abit out of my price range! Haha. my girlfriend would kill me. But anyways, I currently have my 2000.1d run down to 2 ohm as that's as low as I can go. and this box would be for a car. in a 2001 Pontiac grand prix to be exact. I was just more less wondering if it would be worth buying a 3rd sub to have my subs run to a 1 ohm load. Like would I even notice a big difference? because my other 2 subs would be getting a less amount of power correct?

Gosh, 1000$ is quite abit out of my price range! Haha. my girlfriend would kill me. But anyways, I currently have my 2000.1d run down to 2 ohm as that's as low as I can go. and this box would be for a car. in a 2001 Pontiac grand prix to be exact. I was just more less wondering if it would be worth buying a 3rd sub to have my subs run to a 1 ohm load. Like would I even notice a big difference? because my other 2 subs would be getting a less amount of power correct?

So the thing to remember about amps is they don't output watts, they output volts. If you have two subs wired in parallel and your amp is putting out 40 volts each sub will see 40 volts. Assuming they are 2 ohm coils wired in series, each sub gets 400 watts and your amp is putting out a total of 800'watts. If you add a third sub in parallel all three subs will still see 40 volts for 400 watts each and the amp now puts out 1200 watts, so adding another sub won't take power away from the two you have.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Quit worrying so much about what each sub will get and look at the whole picture. Overall total cone area will increase and overall power to them will increase. On top of that, you'll gain a bit of efficiency overall due to less power compression, in theory.

The real question is, do you have room for a 3rd sub....without taking away from the other two?

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

so would buying the 3rd sub be necessarily worth it?

For daily purposes 5-6 dB would be a compelling upgrade, if you are going to spend so much time and money to gain 2-3 dB it wouldn't be worth too much to me. Of course for competing 1 dB would be absolutely worth it.

Archived