Sonic Electronix

Factory amp enable/ clip wire--Help!

I was wonder if this makes sense to anyone. This is pulled from one of the other forums I'm on specifically for my car.

"The subwoofer amplifier in this car has an Enable/Clip wire that I'll use. The wire reads 0V for amp off, 3-6V for amp on, and >8.5V for amplifier clipping. Apparently the factory sub amp has an internal resistor that pulls the voltage down under light load, and lets it increae as load goes up. When it surpasses about 8.5V, the DSP lowers the output level to the sub amp to prevent blowing the woofer and/or amp.

If this is the case, then I want that enable wire to stay between 3-6V to keep a strong signal coming from the head unit. People say to use this wire directly as an amp turn-on wire, but this would put the head unit in clip mode and send a poor signal out of the DSP, which would then require me to use an audio processor to get the bass back. I might be able to just set the voltage on that line using a resistor to 5V, use a 5V relay to make a 12V remote wire circuit, then use the line+/- wires from the DSP directly to RCA's and to my subwoofer amp. Maybe it'll kill the roll-off too..that'd be cool!"

Trying to figure out if I need to try and do what this guy is talking about with installing a relay inline to steady the voltage. Any input?

Archived