wire jacket melted to fuse terminal

Today i was driving and started smelling plastic burning... pulled over and thought it was my coils, but it was the jacket on my wire going from my back fuse block to my amp. got zero gauge going from the back batt positive to the fuse, 200 amp, to the jl hd1200. also the fuse was partially burnt. I replaced the wire with 4 gauge, b/c its a short run, and then threw a 100 amp fuse on it,( jl recommends), it popped instantly when i turned it up.

i dunno wtf this is from? i put zero gauge back in there and a 200 amp fuse... local shop said it could be from the wire jacket touching the fuse block, but its been that way for 5 months n never had a problem... they also said the amp could be shorted, but it plays and i rechecked all my grounds from continuity and impedance.

someone help me

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

gotchya. I used the 16 ton crimper and all copper lugs and all ofc... I gotta move to CO from maryland on thursday... driving... n id like to have some bass for the ride. but if it keeps gettin hot n i cant figure it out before then, i gotta just deal wit it in CO. ill get pics tomo.

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

ok so today i ran new 1/0 power and grounds and bought a new fuse box. I looked in the old fuse block, and there was some small metal piece that didn't get cut off when they machined it and it was keeping the wire from having a good connection. So i threw a 1/0 reducer on the new wire, wrapped it up in shrink wrap and secured it into the new fuse box.

Played it today for 30 minutes full tilt with no heat or smell coming from the wires... I guess it was just a poor connection and must have gotten worked loose over time.

Anyway glad that is solved.

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

i probably would have figured this out myself.

but its always nice to have the smd pros with tons of experience tip in on your issue and provide a possible explanation.

for this i am so thankful... because being the noob that i am, i had a ton of things swirling around in my head

but everyones suggestions of possible problems helped me know what i needed to address first... and it turns out

that was the problem.

so thank you to those who are willing to help, and a big thanks to ole' SM for making this forum.... so people who don't run 4 15'' teams in a wall on 3 TFEs (etc, etc) can get help...

altho upgrades r comin soon heheheheh

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

Archived