How Many Alt Amps Do I Need?

ok so i would need 2 good batteries(kinetik hc2400's) and at least 300 amp alt right? well would it be better to have more than 300 mps or should i just stay at a 300 amp alt? ok why would i need 2 batteries...??? i have capacitors, that won't help at all?

For your kind of power caps arent going to do shit imo also what kind of wiring do you have

you'll need at least two runs of 1/0 and get the biggest alt you can bro, a couple of good batteries and you're set.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

you'll need at least two runs of 1/0 and get the biggest alt you can bro, a couple of good batteries and you're set.

No 300 amp alternator will be remotely streetable for extended periods, nor will it have any kind of decent output at idle RPMs. (check out the power production curve of a single alternator that makes 300 amps, and it will most likely do about 50-60 amps at idle) If you plan on driving the vehicle on the street for extended periods, and don't want to worry about buring up alternators periodically, or revving up the motor to keep the voltage up, multiple alternators is the solution for you. The easiest way to wire multiple alternators is to just leave the factory alternator in it's stock location with stock wiring (it's already paid for, right ;) ) and just add an additional 200ish amp 1 wire alternator. At that point, you would just run the single output from the seccond alternator to the positive terminal of your battery(s).

100amps of alternator current for every 1000 watts RMS power is a good rule of thumb, but as was stated before amplifiers do vary in efficiency. The surefire way to know how much you actually need would be to set the sytem on kill with a couple batteries in parralel and measure how much current is flowing through the amplifier power cable with an inductive amp clamp. This would tell exactly how many amps are being consumed by the amplifiers at full volume. In a perfect world, you would take that # of amps, and add 60-80 amps for normal vehicle accessories and that would be the total amperage needed to be produced by the alternator(s)

With today's rediculous systems, it is very common to have inssufficient alternator current even with multiple alternators. I would reccomend two large high performance batteries at least, you can't have too many.

As far as overcharging and blowing up a battery, that is not caused by too much alternator, it is caused by too high of voltage. An alternator(s) will only produce as much current/voltage as is required to maintain battery voltage at the setpoint of the alternator's regulator. If there is resistance in the wiring, or if a battery or regulator become faulty, then the alternator can charge at high voltage and over-heat the battery. If everything is installed properly, and the alternators are in good working order and are set to the proper voltage for the battery that is being used, then you will not have an overcharging problem, no matter how many alternators you have. I run three alts on my daily driver.

Hope that helps.

ok...do you have a picture of your hookup? my stock alt only runs at 120 amps. and putting in a 200 amp still equals to around 300 amps total...I dont get what your saying..Why put 2 alts that eqaul 300 amp when you could just have 1 that eqauls 300 amp?

with two smaller alternators you'll have better idle power than a 300 amp alt.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

with two smaller alternators you'll have better idle power than a 300 amp alt.

Just take a look at Steve's tahoe for how to hook it up. A single power cable from the alternator to the positive terminal of the battery is all that is needed.

A 300 amp alternator is really only like a 50 amp alternator at idle. You have to rev the engine up to get 300 amps. They also overheat like crazy. We make a 350 amp unit, but it puts out NOTHING (0 amps) at idle, and would never hold up to street driving. 250+ amp alternators are for competition use (burps on a trailered vehicle) ONLY.

• 1 month later...

What kind of car is this? This will help your options and responses. Duel stock alts with smaller pulley's with more batteries will help maintain better than 1 300amp alt.

Same as for subs 5,000 watts on 1 sub or 2,500 watts each on 2 subs . Which option will play longer and cooler in a daily driver?

You need the better portion of the output to be at idle this will increase while driving anyway. Slammin in a parking lot at idle you don't want to say hold on I have to take a drive shits getting low. :wacko:

More batteries storage ,storage ,storage.

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Archived