good brand for alarm/remote start

my moms been running an avital remote start for around 4 years with no issues, and my wifes for a cheap avital alarm/keyless for about 3, again with no issues, so I dont think I can agree with the poster who said hed shy away from them (and actually, I just purchased a setup for my jeep thats avital)! im not saying hes wrong, just relaying my personal experience (and if hes a regular installer, id for sure give credence to his advice!!) either way, let us know what you decide!

ehh i replaced 5 this winter from other shops that installed them, and I dont even install alarms, maybe it was how they where installed, but fixing the mess's from other people sucks..

and also directed is will known by other installers to have had bad antennas and drop remotes a couple years ago, and that could of been the problems with all the ones I fixed.

ehh i replaced 5 this winter from other shops that installed them, and I dont even install alarms, maybe it was how they where installed, but fixing the mess's from other people sucks..

and also directed is will known by other installers to have had bad antennas and drop remotes a couple years ago, and that could of been the problems with all the ones I fixed.

could be. im certainly not as experienced with em as others, but my lucks held so far!

While it's true Avital is Directed's entry level line, I really haven't had a huge problem with them. But you're absolutely correct on the antenna failure. They acknowledge the fault and sent most dealers a bag of replacement antennas. And that was right after they had antenna CABLE problems, so LOLZ! Actually, it was just very poor heatshrinking on the end making it extremely easy for the pins to be ripped out of the antenna harness. Meh. Regardless, Directed makes quality stuff. But Compustar is..... much more "modern". Once you know Compustar well.... you wonder WTF Directed has been/is still doing over there. Compustar is most installer's choice. So friggin flexible. So friggin installer friendly. Upgrade later? No problem with Compustar! With any DEI product? Rip it all out and start over.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

• 3 months later...

Viper alarms

can't agree here, There support is the worst. Directed products get a thumbs down from me.

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Im going to jump in on this. So if I were to order the top of the line: http://www.compustar.com/remote-starters/RF-P2W901-SS.php would I still be able to have my installer install all the other types of sensors such as the proximity sensor?

HU: Pioneer DMH-Z5350BT

Mids & Highs: ML280.3, ML700.3, ML1800.3 Mille Legend Series 3 way

Lows: x3 JL Audio 12TW3 powered by JL Audio RD1500/1 

Cable: x2 Skyhigh 0 Gage OFC kits. Skyhigh 8 gage & 16 gage OFC speaker cable

Sound Deadener: 121 sq feet of Skyhigh 120mil
DSP: AudioControl DM 810

Project Build Log

Click here: 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee SQ Build to see the build progress.

Have compustar an drones on both my vehicles love the confidence of checking on location an status of either when I leave on at home etc .. Word is smart start dei is upgrading technology by end of year an the current smart starts won't work compustar did this already so not to worry

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Word is smart start dei is upgrading technology by end of year an the current smart starts won't work compustar did this already so not to worry

Don't know where you're getting your info from, but that's completely false.

http://www.viper.com/smartstart/faq.aspx

To quote from their page:

If I currently have a VSM250/VSM200 module in my car, do I have to upgrade to a new VSM350/VSM300 module?

Not at all. The current 2G Viper SmartStart systems will still operate as always. For customers that demand the latest in connected-car technology, they can upgrade to the new Viper SmartStart 4.0 hardware, with functionality on US networks only. Both system generations will remain fully compatible with current versions of the Viper SmartStart app, as well as the updated Viper SmartStart 4.0 app when available.
There should be no interruption of existing service with the introduction of this new hardware. If you experience any change in service or functionality, contact our experienced customer service team who will help you resolve any issues with your Viper SmartStart system.
smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived