Rear end/ Transfer case/ Front end issue

Hey guys i just bought a 2000 S10 with 192k on it. This is my second S10 but this is the first 4wd. The guy i bought it from said he swapped a used rear into 6 months ago. Little did he know he put a ZR2 rear into it when the truck didnt come with that package. So now the rear has i believe 3.73 gears and the front has what i think is 3.43 gears. He said the howling noise(like having really nobby mud tires) just started after 6 months of driving. I took the rear driveshaft off to drive it home in 4hi and it mad an awful noise. I need to figure out what parts i need to swap out and change to what gearing so i can get this to work properly. I can do drive train work, im just not experienced with it and dont know how to diagnose these issues. Im much better with the motors. If you all could point me in a direction and give me some advice thatd be greatly appreciated.

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

Mismatched gearing on the front and rears will wear everything in both the front and rear differentials

Could have worn gears, bearings, spider gears and who knows what else happened to them.

Most likely going to need boneyard replacements.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Bearing going out or vacuum line/switch on top of transfer case is bad.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

There was a lot of pressure put on the pinion bearings from the mismatched gears, so it is possibly the culprit but tough to say for certain.

It also depends on how much it was driven over that period of time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Mismatched gears only causes problems when the tcase is locked in. Pull the drive shafts and see if there is excessive slack in the pinion, either rotational or up and down.

doubt its the pinion, you should see the rear output on my transfer case lol, scarry amount of play.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived