too much alternator power?

im currently working on planning/building a system for SQL in my jeep. nothing crazy, only about 1000rms at full power.

the amp im going to be using is fused at 80 amps

i have a few led light bars that draw about 60amps when they are all on, which isnt often.

some other custom lights and stuff, and of course the power the jeep takes to run...

i plan to have a SINGLE d4800 xs power batt under the hood which should be plenty to power everything with out voltage drop. but i do play music while parked and just sitting around.

will running a very high output alt 360amp and 180a at idle (as im told by stinger) damage the battery if im not drawing that much power all the time????

I want to have as little voltage drop as possible, if any. if i can keep my jeep at 14 volts minimum i would be very happy, that includes running led bars and full blast music.

Your alt will supply the amperage needed to maintain voltage. If you have 360a alt and you only need 150a to maintain 14.4v then thats all you will get from it..

One thing though.. If you're planning on playing stopped with car off you will damage both battery and alternator. A.dead battery will over work the alternator. The other thing is once the battery is dead dead the alt will be at max dumping 350a amps max 180a at idle making the battery overheat and swell

I would opt for a 250a hairpin. You don't need 350a and the 250a will be a better option for idle. I doubt you get 180a at idle with a conventional alternator no matter the company you get. I have had both mechman and singer conventional alternators and both sacked at idle at 650 engine rpm. Went with hairpin and they love low rpm

I would opt for a 250a hairpin. You don't need 350a and the 250a will be a better option for idle. I doubt you get 180a at idle with a conventional alternator no matter the company you get. I have had both mechman and singer conventional alternators and both sacked at idle at 650 engine rpm. Went with hairpin and they love low rpm

Agreed, cant get my 370 to charge @ idle, i have to be in the car raising the rpms by a couple hunny to get any reasonable result :(

Kenwood KVT-614

(4) Marathon 155 AH batts

2/0 OFC SHCA

Mechman 370

(2) Audioque 3500.1

(2) AA Mayhem 15s

Conventional alternator

14.6 at idle cold

14.0 at idle warm with ac on

13.4 at idle 30 minutes driving with ac on

13.1 at idle after an hour of driving with just ac on

Hairpin 370a

14.8 at idle cold

14.8 at idle warm with ac on

14.7 at idle 30 minutes of driving ac on

14.7 at idle hot after 2 hours of driving with ac on

See the difference?

Conventional alternator

14.6 at idle cold

Hairpin 370a

14.8 at idle cold

See the difference?

Hairpin a brand?

And i wont be running the lights and system and lights with the jeep off, ill be running them while the jeep is idling. Which is why im looking for idle amps over peak amps output

Conventional alternator

14.6 at idle cold

Hairpin 370a

14.8 at idle cold

See the difference?

Hairpin a brand?

And i wont be running the lights and system and lights with the jeep off, ill be running them while the jeep is idling. Which is why im looking for idle amps over peak amps output

Hence... buy a alt, that is of hairpin make..

My small 270 HP will smash your 370 at idle.......

my 370 hp does over 200 at idle.... around 700 rev

the 270 turns on at like 400.... its a tank...

Archived