Sonic Electronix

System cuts in and out at high volumes

Hey all. I finally installed my subwoofer in my truck today. But now I am having problems with the subwoofer cutting in and out at high volumes.

I used an Audio Control lc2i since I am using my stock headunit (which does not have rca outputs). The rca cables are connected to the sub out connections on the lc2i (2 outputs...main and sub). My amplifier is a Sundown Audio SAE1000.1D wired to 1 ohm. Subwoofer is an Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" D2 subwoofer. I set both the lc2i and amplifier gains with SMD's DD-1 and the crossover on the amp with SMD's CC-1.

The Sundown Audio amp is powered by knukonceptz 4 gauge OFC cable (fused at the battery with 120A fuse). The lc2i is piggy-backing its power from the SA amp with 12 gauge OFC speaker wire. The ground for the amp is connected to a factory bolt that holds down the rear seat (placed a washer below and above the ring terminal so I didn't have to scrape the paint from the floor). The lc2i ground is wired back to the amp's ground.

With the volume set where I listen to, the subwoofer would just drop out and like every 5 to 10 seconds it would try to play. However, when I turn the volume down to 1/4 or 1/3 of my normal playing volume the subwoofer would pick back up. What would you guys suggest I do to diagnose or fix my issue?

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 STX SuperCab 5.0L V8 4x4

BIG 3: Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0 Gauge OFC Power Amp Kit

Headunit: Stock (Leaving factory look)

Speakers: Stock

Subwoofer: Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" D2 wired down to 1 ohm

Enclosure: ~1.5 cubic feet tuned to ~34 Hz (Port Area ~24 inches)

Amplifier(s): Sundown Audio SAE1000.1D

Amp Power Kit: Knukonceptz Complete 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

local guy by me had an LC2i, before his SAZ-2500Dv2 in his Infiniti.. Basically, the LC2i's RCA output voltage was too high and would protect the Sundernz

its something to look into..

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Check your grounds.

I just installed a system that's was doing that also. Was damn near ready to give up when the owner told me his main grounds were loose. Once he got that issue resolved the system was playing 100% fine.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

I would still sand down the paint. Nobody will likely ever see it. I get that you put washers there, but what are the washers touching? Paint! You need a more solid connection, and in my honest opinion a better grounding point all together. The frame is the best place. I really don't like seat bolts. A bad ground can cause a whole mess of issues. Also check to make sure your rcas are good. Just swap with a different pair to troubleshoot that.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

local guy by me had an LC2i, before his SAZ-2500Dv2 in his Infiniti.. Basically, the LC2i's RCA output voltage was too high and would protect the Sundernz

its something to look into..

My protect light on my amp would never come on fully. On the amp, the power light would blink followed by the protect light. It was kinda like a strobe light effect. I'll try to turn down the accubass and gain on the lc2i. Thanks.

Check your grounds.

I just installed a system that's was doing that also. Was damn near ready to give up when the owner told me his main grounds were loose. Once he got that issue resolved the system was playing 100% fine.

I have checked my grounds. pulled both from the amp and the grounding point. Neither would budge. Same with the power and REM. Thanks for the input.

I would still sand down the paint. Nobody will likely ever see it. I get that you put washers there, but what are the washers touching? Paint! You need a more solid connection, and in my honest opinion a better grounding point all together. The frame is the best place. I really don't like seat bolts. A bad ground can cause a whole mess of issues. Also check to make sure your rcas are good. Just swap with a different pair to troubleshoot that.

I think I will sand the paint soon. I don't have another pair of RCAs lying around. I'm currently using the one that came in the kit from Knukonceptz. What RCA cable would you recommend?

Sand the paint before buying new RCA's. If you have a multimeter, before you sand the paint underneath your ground, take the ground out of your amp, place one probe on the end of the ground, the other on your amps ground input, set to impedance, and read what the continuity of your ground is. It should be below a half ohm. If it's not, remove the paint from your ground location, and measure again.

I did that and it read ~0.43 ohm on the multimeter. I might just relocate my ground to a better spot.

Archived