Second Skin Audio

*UPDATED, FINISHED* Need help with my first ported box. Stuck between two design's

MrAcd

You usually glue 2 boards, then either use pressure of clamps or screws to hold it for the glue to dry. and you go piece by piece.

Close enough, how does the box look?

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L
HU: Pioneer DEH X6600BT
Box/Subs: 2.9 cubes @33hz/ 2 10" SSA DCONS (SOLD! now AB XFL 15's)
Sub Amp: Soundqubed Q1-1200D @1 ohm (replacing with FSD 2600)
Component: Stock for now
Component Amp: Stock for now
Wiring for amp: SHCA 1/0 OFC
Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

You usually glue 2 boards, then either use pressure of clamps or screws to hold it for the glue to dry. and you go piece by piece.

Close enough, how does the box look?

I don't know, I'm not building one.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

but just from a construction aspect. Like were the port is, were the dowel to the port. I have started building it, but just wanted some feedback. Like i mentioned above my main concern is with the dowel being so close that port opening.

Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

Ah I understand what you asked now. That box looks fine. A dowel pole is not going to effect the air going in and out of your port. Just need to make sure you have the same width of your port as enough clearance between the port opening and the nearest wall.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

DEPQvab.jpg?2

Here it is so far, nothing glued yet, i just placed the baords were they would go to take a look.

zvjVAex.jpg?2

Here is it with the top off

EDIT: I placed the dowel the wrong way... I knew something didnt look right. lol

GNhTn2Z.jpg?2Lvt0dV5.jpg?2

All glued up and screwed for the most part, put silicone on all the edges. The only piece i havent screwed done is the missing top piece because i still need to get my circles cut out, and i need to cut another dowel. Im assuming i sand the rough silicone parts to make it smooth again?

*UPDATE* Box is done, 1.45 cubic space a sub,and........WOW The results are incredible. Went from .65 cubic box ported to 43hz TO 1.45 cubes at 33hz.. I cant believe the results i was not expecting to gain SOOO much, i can make my dash flex and my headliner flex like crazy. My back glass flex like crazy! I just tried different positions and surprisingly down firing didn't sound as good as forward firing, which on my last set up was the worst sounding. Either way, i am really happy with the way it turned out, I ended up going with Daytona's Gold plated binding post instead of bolts, for even easier access. My next step is what to do on the outside.... Paint it with a design, carpet, rhino liner, vinyl. Any suggestions? i will have pics of the box coming soon

Yeah... The only benefit was that it fit under my seats. I will NEVER buy a prefab box again. I only realized mine was horrible after the fact that I had bought it. Today I was moving some hair. I'm loving it now

Archived