Cheap or homemade adjustable power supply?

TRON

Replace 36vDC power supply with car battery and boom

why replace it? a car battery both costs more, and limits you to under 12v for testing.... the converter will drop the voltage to anything to you need

edit: and youd still have to charge the car batt. so more money and weight that is not needed

why spend money to piece together a power supply, when a computer power supply can supply the constant 5V? OP already said he'll only use it once.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

why replace it? a car battery both costs more, and limits you to under 12v for testing.... the converter will drop the voltage to anything to you need

edit: and youd still have to charge the car batt. so more money and weight that is not needed

why spend money to piece together a power supply, when a computer power supply can supply the constant 5V? OP already said he'll only use it once.

true, when i need something i always make something i know ill be able to use in the future... then again, im a hands on guy, i build all my own... everything.

Because he only needs 5v for a single test and his car already has a battery in it

Not sure on the amperage needed, but it seems it's not that much. Don't know why you guys are going way over the top with this. Nearly any sat radio, radar detector, or GPS plug is 5V out. Many wall wart cell phone chargers are too. Every single one is labeled with voltage and amperage output. I'm sure you already have one laying in a junk drawer. If not, Best Buy sells one that even has adjustable output voltage selectable with a switch for like $18.

Second, a simple voltage divider network with a couple resistors can bring 12VDC to 5VDC.

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Voltage-Divider-Calculator.phtml

Or one $5 7805 transistor from.....Radio Shack? If they're still open. Frys?

EDIT: which is exactly what rolex posted.

How have none of you ever installed an aftermarket head unit in an amplified Ford vehicle??

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

lol ford :P

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived