Sundown Audio

Inexpensive amps, opinions?

devestator_x

Ok, so Im looking to put together an inexpensive system in my wifes daily driver. It's a 2001 Camaro. We are going to run 4 JBL 6.5 coaxial speakers in the stock locations along with a 10" Sundown E series sub in a stealthbox. Any opinions on the MB Quart OA series? I know they are made by Maxxsonics and most people here dump on them pretty bad, but SonicElectronix has some cheezy looking West Coast Customs amps (1 mono, 1 4 channel) that are based on the MB Quart OA series amps for around $100 each, which is a perfect fit for my tight budget.

My thinking was these amps are rated higher than the speakers handling, so I have some head room to set the gains lower to ensure clean sound. The JBLs are rated at 125rms and the 4 channel is rated at 200. The mono is rated at 750rms while the E series Sundown is "rated" at 500 (but we know they will take more than that) I plan on getting a DD-1 to be sure Im not clipping, then using a DMM and Ohms law, finding a rough power output number and turning down from there to the speakers rated ranges. I will also run 1/0 wire front to back with a split to 4ga just before the amps so they should see enough power. We arent looking at competition sized stuff here, just something thats sounds nice and clean.

I used to have a pair of MB Quart components in my last car and the mids sounded like crap, though I thought they would since they had plastic spiders. However I thought I had read good things about their amps on here, at least in terms of making clean power.

Or... if you all think they are junk and you had 4 mids rated at 125rms each and a sub rated at 500rms, with a $300 amp budget (roughly) what would you buy? Im not opposed to going with a single 5 channel either, just didnt find one I thought was any good.

If you don't mind used there are a lot of the alpine mrp-500 mono blocks and mrp-300 4 channels on eBay. You could pick up a pair for less than $200. They really small and would be plenty of power for your setup

I would prob stay away from most maxxsonic products

I'd definitely take a look at the American Bass VFL amps

Bass head in training. Trying to learn everything I can.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Synergy Audio WFO 15.1 V2 (Prototype)

Sundown X12

I really appreciate the input guys. I have looked at the RF Prime amps for some time, especially for my own build, but they are just a little high in price (and really high in price if buying from an authorized dealer) when compared to my budget for this build. I totally understand you get what you pay for and all that which is why I know better than to buy Pyle, Boss, Dual, etc etc. So far the AB PH series is looking like it fits the power needs and budget pretty well. Even the 5 channel covers everything and fits in the budget. Got to talk to the wife and see if she thinks we can swing all $300 at once or if we need to buy the 4 channel first then the mono later on. Hard to build something decent while paying the bills and paying for school.

The ph series is a good budget amp, I ran a ph4000 for a while and really liked it, sold it to a guy I work with and he loves it too

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

So, Im a little disenchanted with American Bass at the moment. I went to their website and it states that internet sales of their products are prohibited and have a "where to Buy" page, which is still under construction apparently. It also says if there is not a retailer near me, to contact them directly. So I emailed the info@amer... link they provide on their "Contact Us" page asking where the closest retailer to 32905 is, and if there wasnt one in a 25 mile radius, how much is their 4 channel amp going to run me direct from them. That was 2 days ago with 0 reply. Potential paying customer and the question is ignored? What would the customer service be like if I had a warranty issue? I can find these amps all over ebay and whatnot, but if I buy from there, Im sure there is no warranty after buying from an unauthorized seller.

Archived