Second Skin Audio

FI SP4 15 Box help please

I will be sealing off my trunk with a single FI SP4 15, and need to get a box designed for it. I am no good at designing boxes, so im hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I would like to have the box 40' wide, and 17" tall. The depth can change. I want the height and width to be those lengths because it will work the best when sealing it off from the trunk. Also, i would like to try doing an aero port, but dont have any experience with them, so if it is advised not to, i will try to make it work with a slot port.

I want this sub to be able to get really low, but still be able to play a nice range, so im guessing tuning it to around 30-32hz?

Thank you for any help!

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

That tuning sound reasonable. The aeroport may not work well because its probably going to have to be long enough to require a bend in it. At that point a slot port usually is more practical. Properly sized there is no difference in performance between a slot port and an aero port anyway.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

the reason i was thinking aero port is because the way the box will be, I dont want the port to be on the edge of the box. i want it like a third of the way in, because it will be set back from the opening behind the seats, and there is angled bracing for the trunk. wanted to try and avoid putting the port behind the bracing. would it not be a good idea to have a curved aero port?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Here is my suggestion, slot ports provide superior stiffness to the box for a tough sub, also you can give any amount of port area, power: to sub rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 4 1/2", figure is just an assembly guide, bracing is a single 1 1/2" wooden dowel rod:

NOTE: If building outside you need to build a cardboard dummy box to test fit in it's way inside.

sp415.jpg

sp415_pic.jpg

I actually dont think the car bracing will be a huge problem. Here is the box mocked up with cardboard. its about 4-5 inches away too:

IMG_08801.jpg

IMG_08821.jpg

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

would you recommend fiberglassing the inside to make it stronger? never had a sub this powerful before

Why not, and I agree that the car bracing blocking is limited, make your mind and if you want me to change it, I will do.

Ok. Don't know if I will glass the inside or not yet. If I don't, would adding another brace from top to bottom change the tuning or box volume much? Would be another wood rod.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived