Second Skin Audio

Not sure what to do.

So this is the second system I've ever had. It consists of a single FI SSD 12 and a CT Sounds 1400.1. My original system had two kenwood subs that pushed a total of 400 watts RMS. This SSD should do at least the 1000 it is rated for, although I've seen many people go a decent amount over this. I installed everything, including building the box, which is 2.5 cubic feet. When I had it all in my car and I was going to tune it myself but with all the money I spent I went and had a professional do it. The first place I went to told me my box wasn't built very well and that it would fall apart, followed by them trying to get me to pay 350 for them to do it. I didn't believe that so I went to someone else. He tuned it for me, but also said the box wasn't sealed well. I put enough glue and nails in the box I'm not sure how this is possible. My question begins here though. The box I have now is ported and has more power, the box for my two subs before was sealed and had less power. This new system doesn't sound any louder whatsoever, and yes I know there probably won't be a huge difference. From watching videos of similar setups in similar vehicles mine shakes the car a whole lot less. Would building a better box make it better, considering it might be leaking? Plus I have the amp at about 5/8 of its max power, and their is not much room for the bass knob before distortion. This sub in my opinion should be able to handle more power. I know I said a lot here, but any tips? By the way, the wiring is thick enough, so I'm not worried about that. Also when playing it full tilt the box does have a bit of a pounding noise it shouldn't have.

sounds like the other guys may be right and the box you have isn't sturdy enough.If you put a sub in a box that isn't built well, you're not going to get good results from it, the box is very important in how everything sounds. How do you know that the amp is at 5/8 of it's power? How was the amp tuned?

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

sounds like the other guys may be right and the box you have isn't sturdy enough.If you put a sub in a box that isn't built well, you're not going to get good results from it, the box is very important in how everything sounds. How do you know that the amp is at 5/8 of it's power? How was the amp tuned?

I'm talking about the gain. Just by judging how far it's been turned from zero to how far it has to being full power, I'd say it's about 5/8 power.

I'm talking about the gain. Just by judging how far it's been turned from zero to how far it has to being full power, I'd say it's about 5/8 power.

Well first of all the gain isn't a volume knob, the gain at full tilt is not "full power". You match the gain to the voltage output of the rca's, personally when setting gains with the DD-1, I don't believe I've ever set the gain above 1/4 of the way.

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Please take some pics of your box so we can see it. You got some learning to do for sure bud. You can do it all here, vast amounts of knowledge are here. Do you have a stock or aftermarket stereo?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

My RCAs are from an amp wiring kit I bought from Sky High Car Audio.

the brand of RCAs are irrelevant in this matter. Your headunit outputs a specific voltage along your RCA cables that in turn has to be "amplified" by the amp. The gains purpose is to attenuate and match that voltage that is coming along the RCAs. If you raise the level over that voltage then you are clipping the signal.

Make any sense?

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Watch these videos, and it may help you understand what I am talking about.

250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Please take some pics of your box so we can see it. You got some learning to do for sure bud. You can do it all here, vast amounts of knowledge are here. Do you have a stock or aftermarket stereo?

Of course it's aftermarket, I have everything hooked up and have had it hooked up for a while.. The system works fine except it's just not hitting as hard as I expected. I was just looking for advice on if I should build a new box or not. I might not know every little detail in this but I've been following car audio for years. If I made myself seem like I have no idea what's going on, it's just my lack of hands on experience. If you'd really like I can list every item involved in my setup when I get home in about an hour.

Archived