Pioneer DEH-80PRS preout voltage

Well I tested it with the car off too. Last night with it running I got 2VAC with voltage at the rear battery reading 13.58VDC. Today, car off at 12.7VDC, got 2VAC out, turned it on, 13.7VDC, and still 2VAC. So I don't think the preouts vary with input voltage, for me to get an exact 2VAC with the car off and on. And that's 2VAC directly at the head unit and through the RCA's, so the 1.1ohms resistance in the RCA's doesn't do anything either. I'm going to contact pioneer and see what they say. I mean I'm not unhappy, I love my setup and can't wait to finish it and have it tuned the way I want. I'm always changing something. But it just concerns me that I'm not getting what is advertised, and maybe it's just a B-stock HU that I got from sonic. Who knows. I would still like to see others test and their results. But if the only way to get a full 5VAC or 4.xx or whatever is to have EVERY setting turned all the way up, then I understand why it's advertised as 5v preouts. I need to try a frequency sweep from 30-50 and see if it varies. Gimme a minute.

Correct. 3.6 at 0dB. So I know I won't get 5v out at -10dB tone, but I don't get it at 0dB either

I'll have to download some test tones. I thought I might be able to use my AudioTools app on my phone and on my old phone I use for music now, but it wouldn't output to the head unit on USB or Bluetooth, and I don't have aux cord anymore.

I'll have to download some test tones. I thought I might be able to use my AudioTools app on my phone and on my old phone I use for music now, but it wouldn't output to the head unit on USB or Bluetooth, and I don't have aux cord anymore.

Try the DD Toolbox app

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Try the DD Toolbox app

Thanks I'll give it a try

So today it occurred to me that I'm an idiot and should double check everything. For whatever reason I was thinking DD-1 track 3 was 40hz @0dB. Instead I realized its -5dB since track 5 is -10dB. So here are my preout results at this time for 40hz:

Volume at 60/62, sub level at +6dB

-10dB = 2VAC

-5dB = 3.6VAC

0dB = 5.58VAC

So from what I'm piecing together in my mind, the less dB the test tone, the more the amplifier will put out. But not all music is created equally. What if it is recorded at 0dB but I set my gain using the -15dB on the DD-1 cd? Clipped signal to all hell correct? Is there a way to find out what level music is recorded at? I like using the -10dB to set my gains. Which means I'm matching my gain to 2VAC, so what happens when that 5VAC signal comes through? Knowing your equipments limits is one thing. But this makes me think there is no way to avoid clipping my input signal when songs are recorded at different levels, unless I set my gain with that 0dB tone and lose a good amount of my output.

What are you guys' thought?

i just set with -10db, run a pac lc-1 and if i smell coil i turn it down, sometimes.

Minus the lc-1, that is what I do. I start getting that smell and I turn it down at least 5.

Furthermore, I found an aux cord, used the DD toolbox app signal generator, and tested the voltage and signal. iPhone 6 plus volume all the way up, HU volume at 60/62, testing 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 hz, voltage was between 1.57 and 1.59VAC for all frequencies tested. So my conclusion is voltage does not vary with frequency.

Archived