Pioneer DEH-80PRS preout voltage

So after getting schooled by another member on here about why I had to crank my gain up on my amps with my supposed 5V preouts (disclaimer: gains set by DD-1) compared to everyone else saying they barely turn theirs before the distortion lights turns on, I decided to heed his advice and turn my low level out to +6dB, and reset gains accordingly. With this, I measured my voltage. I use my volume at 60/62 due to the 1khz tone distorting at 61/62 on the mid-level RCA out. So I measured sub out RCA voltage at 60/62, sub level set to +6dB, and I only get 2VAC. Has anyone else measured their RCA preout voltage through the RCA's (80PRS guys/gals only)? Are you getting 5V out as advertised? After setting my gain in accordance with this 2V, I did not have to turn it as much as I did before, only a quarter of a turn compared to well over half. But what bothers me is I bought an item advertising 5V out, but only get 2V. I use the DD-1 CD, track 5 (40hz, -10dB) to set sub amp gain.

I've never tested mine, but can tomorrow. You put negative prob inside and positive outside, or? I've never tested for that before.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

So after getting schooled by another member on here about why I had to crank my gain up on my amps with my supposed 5V preouts (disclaimer: gains set by DD-1) compared to everyone else saying they barely turn theirs before the distortion lights turns on, I decided to heed his advice and turn my low level out to +6dB, and reset gains accordingly. With this, I measured my voltage. I use my volume at 60/62 due to the 1khz tone distorting at 61/62 on the mid-level RCA out. So I measured sub out RCA voltage at 60/62, sub level set to +6dB, and I only get 2VAC. Has anyone else measured their RCA preout voltage through the RCA's (80PRS guys/gals only)? Are you getting 5V out as advertised? After setting my gain in accordance with this 2V, I did not have to turn it as much as I did before, only a quarter of a turn compared to well over half. But what bothers me is I bought an item advertising 5V out, but only get 2V. I use the DD-1 CD, track 5 (40hz, -10dB) to set sub amp gain.

What does a 40hz 0db track yield in output voltage?

What Rca cables are you using and have you tested their resistance?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Outside shield is negative and center pin is positive. But on most DMM it really won't matter, it'll just say a negative voltage if the probes are reversed. I bought my 80prs off of sonic electronics back in November/December time. I never tested mine before tonight either, just did it for shits and giggles after broke explained to me that getting max preout the sub level usually has to be all the way up.

I'll test the 0dB track tomorrow. Don't feel like messing with it anymore tonight. The RCA's are sky high triple shielded. Haven't tested resistance either. I'll do that tomorrow too. I guess I place too much faith in my equipment and should start testing everything before fully installing. On another note, using voltage squared divided by resistance (2ohm sub configuration) my soundqubed 3500.1 puts out 2850 at 2ohms with the 40hz -10dB track. Wish I had an AMM to see how true that is. Voltage at 13.58VDC at the amp. Not bad for a stock alt. can't wait for that singer to come in though.

If your voltage is dropping at the amp that would likely mean it's dropping at the headunit too which could possibly mean it might be lowering the output voltage of the headunit.

Cheap rcas normally have high resistance which could also mean lower voltage at the other end of the rca cable.

I wonder what it would test right where they come out of the head unit?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I'll find that out tomorrow after I get off work. I wouldn't think 13.5 would drop the preouts though. But I'll rip the HU out, test directly at the HU, check continuity of my RCA's, check at 0dB if the preout hasn't changed, and whatever else I can think of. Also hopefully read others results on here and maybe I just have a defective unit

40hz 0dB = 3.6 through sub level RCA's

1.1ohms resistance through both sides of RCA's, pin and ground shield

2VAC straight out of the head unit preouts at 40hz -10dB. Same as through the RCA's.

Anyone have similar results? Different?

while pioneer never states a minimum voltage it does say the headunit is only for "12v" systems. I would guess it work on 9 to 15v or close. My point im getting at is, it would be a good test to see if input voltage effects output voltage. If the 80prs is worth its salt it should hold steady across the range of acceptable voltage being they are pre-amp outputs.

But hey, who knows right?

Archived