Gregg Elias Posted May 15, 2015 Report Posted May 15, 2015 Hi there. I'm new to the forum. I have a subwoofer I'm trying to identify. Pretty sure it's a re xxx18. It looks just like the new ones on sale. Only thing is it doesn't have the typical "xxx" on the cone. Instead it says "re". It's 77-78 pounds just like re website says so I'm sure it's a xxx. Also it doesn't look like its a split coil. I can see the top and bottom of the coil and when I move it in and out I don't see a split. Would this be a version 2 xxx? I also have an amp question to run this beast. It's a dual 4 ohm. The amp I have is a concept hp2000. 1500 at 2 and 2000 at 1ohm. I have been told it's a cheater amp and specs may be at 12 volts. Apparently they do way more than rated but enough for a xxx? I'm doubting it. Any recommendations for over 2000 at 2 ohm amp? It's all music for me. No competing. Just like clean and loud. Thanks for any info.
CstrokerV Posted May 15, 2015 Report Posted May 15, 2015 The mx looks like the xxx also does it not have anything on the magnet? my build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/142505-small-build-log-4-dc-lvl3-10s-tl-update-link-to-rebuild/ http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/154258-rebuild-6-lvl3-12s-update-small-video-nothing-spectacular/ new build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188181-03-trailblazer-slow-build-8-dc-lvl3-12-m1-motor-m2-parts/
Cj Kumz Posted May 15, 2015 Report Posted May 15, 2015 Kicker zx2500.1 does 2500rms @ 2ohm. And is underated too. 1500rms to a 2000rms sub isn't too bad though. You could just work on building an efficient box (larger than recommended). Vw Polo Pioneer Deh-6050UB Sundown Saz-3500d DD Audio 9500 15'' 5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz I live to hear the Bass drop!!!
Gregg Elias Posted May 15, 2015 Author Report Posted May 15, 2015 Yeah that kicker amp looks like one of the few that will do that power at 2 ohms. Otherwise i would need like 3000 at 1ohm to make suitable power at 2ohm. Most of the amps now make full power at 1. I'll try to post pics of sub later. It has the large magnet split in 4. I can see the coil through the magnet. Also has the large round dome on the bottom. Pretty sure it's an xxx. Just wasn't sure what to make of the "re" on the cone instead of the "xxx". Found this sub by chance on craigslist. Guy didn't even know what he had. It's barely been used and I'm embasarssed to say I picked it up for $350 canadian! It's very minty! I have an older suzuki swift and have room for 8' sealed. Currently using jbl w15gti in 3' sealed. That think is amazing in the little car. The re is going to tear it apart. I don't want to go ported because the spare tire well is cut out, dropped and re fiberglassed in to make room for large driver. The shape is round and akward so I would not be able to get an accurate measurement of internal volume. This driver should work fine in sealed anyway. I'm not into spl. The box should be a fun project. Lots of fiberglass and bracing. Might try out birch to save a little weight.
Miguels Posted May 15, 2015 Report Posted May 15, 2015 If it is a xxx don't get a 2500 rms amp. If anything a 2000.. They dont like rated power.. My brother had them and they really didn't impress me and for the money there are better options out there my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Gregg Elias Posted May 15, 2015 Author Report Posted May 15, 2015 Thanks for the reply Miguels. Would you care to explain the system so I don't make the same mistakes he made?
Miguels Posted May 15, 2015 Report Posted May 15, 2015 Re xxx on re xtx 5000.1.. Gain set with dd-1 coil smell on low notes. They do sound okay but would treat it like kicker.. Nothing close to or over rated power to them my logshttp://www.stevemead...-my-new-set-up/my blow through loghttp://www.stevemead...future-updates/ 96 ss http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/164094-96-impala-ss-build/
Gregg Elias Posted February 6, 2016 Author Report Posted February 6, 2016 So I have figured out what sub it is. Xxx18 with the overhung coil. Kinda rare I think. I have been putting 2500 watts to if for a few months in a sealed box. Gonna build a ported for it soon. Loving it! Great sound quality when set up right.
Mauro376455 Posted February 6, 2016 Report Posted February 6, 2016 How do you like it in a sealed box? im suppose to come up on a re xxx 15" today or tommorow im thinking a ported box should make that sub sound good.
Gregg Elias Posted February 6, 2016 Author Report Posted February 6, 2016 It acts really well in sealed. Hits all the low notes and stays really tight. Compared to the jblw15gti, which I thought played low, this seems to play a full octave lower. It was tricky to get it to not sound overpowering. Proper crossover and front stage setup was key. And time alignment!!! Now it just disappears into the front stage. Eventually i will be trying a ported box on this. I have small hatchback so back seats will have to come out. Good luck with yours!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.