wire fan to car?

find the model number of the fan, look up the installation manual for it to find out which wire requires what source (in case red isn't switched and yellow isn't constant and black isn't ground), and wire the switched source to amps remote turn on, constant to amps power or to battery, and ground to ground.

find the model number of the fan, look up the installation manual for it to find out which wire requires what source (in case red isn't switched and yellow isn't constant and black isn't ground), and wire the switched source to amps remote turn on, constant to amps power or to battery, and ground to ground.

There is no switched source in computer fans. There are typically a maximum of four pins on a PWM fan (this is generally):

Black: Ground

Red: 12VDC+

Yellow: Tachometer signal (sense)

Red: Control

In OP's case, ignore the yellow wire, it's useless to you.

Wire in a relay, use the remote turn-on as sense to the relay. I wouldn't use the remote turn-on as power for the fan, though some do.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

There is no switched source in computer fans. There are typically a maximum of four pins on a PWM fan (this is generally):

Wire in a relay, use the remote turn-on as sense to the relay. I wouldn't use the remote turn-on as power for the fan, though some do.

Bingo.

Remote turn on to 85. Ground to 86. +12V constant to 30 and your fan's red wire to 87. 87a will go unused. Then just ground the fan's black wire wherever you're mounting it. Fan's yellow wire should be ignored in this instance.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

got it. i dont use them, but now i know. sorry for the misinformation.

Archived