2012 Malibu system upgrades: wiring & prep.

Well the stock HU chimes and has warnings and turn signal noises that come from driver side front speakers with no way to turn them off. Bummed in a way. So i told the wife she would have to pick out what style of aftermarket HU to replace the stock one with. Fucking Chevy, the next model up car has a way to turn off the chimes but i cant find a way to turn these off on this HU so far. Modern tech pisses me off sometime. I am 44 and old school so on to the solution and pick out a HU.

That sucks man. You were using the LC6i? And only wires from stock unit you tapped in to were the speaker wires? Or did you tap into power/ground/remote too?

That sucks man. You were using the LC6i? And only wires from stock unit you tapped in to were the speaker wires? Or did you tap into power/ground/remote too?

LC7 tapped into front mids and rear stock speaker wires. Ran power from fuse box and made ground close by under seat. Remote out from stock speaker signal in to LC7.

The Wife isn't horrible happy as she doesn't understand how these project can take on a life of there own. Looking at Pioneer double dins, low end nothing fancy.

Thanks man, just hate new shit with no off buttons for functions people dont want. My first build plan for this car was 3 way front speakers with a great HU or DSP involved. Maybe should have stuck to that plan. lol

But the bass hits hard as fuck for one 12 on 1000 watts. Mids and highs keep up and dont sound too bad. A good hu would make everything come to life though.

Need to get back to the Lancer where shit sounds really fucking good.

Oh ok. I was misunderstanding you. I was thinking you meant the radio was constantly sending those signals through the speakers. My apologies.

I agree with the lack of the capability to turn off certain features. I'm sure you'll have no issue finding a replacement unit to make the wife happy though. Mine doesn't understand it much either. She thinks I'd rather spend time working on mine than with her for as much time as I spend outside

Oh ok. I was misunderstanding you. I was thinking you meant the radio was constantly sending those signals through the speakers. My apologies.

I agree with the lack of the capability to turn off certain features. I'm sure you'll have no issue finding a replacement unit to make the wife happy though. Mine doesn't understand it much either. She thinks I'd rather spend time working on mine than with her for as much time as I spend outside

Thanks man. we are looking to pick something out that she will like. Only so many days in the summer to work on systems. Never enough time for everything.

And one more. Camera's video mode is dying. Sorry for the poor quality. All this music is the wife's. She has a different collection than i would have imagined.

https://youtu.be/l4M-EVTsCUI

So i have been searching for replacement HU and came up with this one. I am trying to be budget friendly but also want a decent HU with good functions. I would go with a single din if it was my car but the wife would flip. To much of a change.

Its a Kenwood DD372BT

I like the EQ-ing, 3 sets of pre-outs and has some of the crossover points to help tuning. This is $223, and steering wheel controls, antenna adapter and DVD drive bypass will be about $280.

I will still need GM harness adapter and mounting hardware.

• 1 month later...

So the water pump went out in the Malibu and was at the dealer under warrenty for 3 weeks. Sucked not having Bass in the wifes car, especially since the Lancer system is out. Hell she even missed her stereo. When i get caught up with project i still want to change out the HU. I know it would bring the system alive. LC7 is ok off stock HU for now.

I really like the enclosure for the T1 sub, Hits low and loud. System good but i will improve on it over time.

Archived