Second Skin Audio

box design help - AB XFL 12

dnb1982

I recently just stumbled across a 4 ohm AB XFL 12 in a sealed (prefab box) that I was able to pick up for $70. I figured it wasn't a bad price so might as well give the sub a shot since I don't have anything else in my car at this time. Surprisingly, the sub didn't sound too bad, but didn't really get all that loud. Guessing the box is the culprit. I was hoping to get some opinions or recommendations on box size, specs, power to run to the sub, ect.

The sub will be in an SUV (2 door Blazer), so space is not an issue. Maximum dimensions are: 36 width, 30 deep and 30 height. Pretty much just looking for the sub to get decently loud, sound clean and be able to get plenty low. I listen to mostly rap, electronic music and some rock. It seems subs have always sounded the best when I have ran them subs up and port back, at least in this car--so I wouldln't mind staying with the same build, unless someone thinks otherwise. Plus it's nice seeing the sub in action :)

I have a few options when it comes to powering the sub, which would be:

-Earthquake PH5000W/D1 @ 4 ohms, rated 1600 RMS

-Earthquake PH5000W/D1 @ 2 ohms, rated 3000 RMS (from what I have been told it is unlikely the amp puts this out and way too much for daily use anyway).

-Viper D1200.1 @ 2 ohms, rated 800 RMS.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Possibly Joe X? Or anyone? Last box I built for two 15's didn't turn out all that well. Box wasn't braced well enough, and realized later that the box was a little small. Pretty sure I used the calculator on the RE website. Too many vibrations from the box, ect. Pretty much sounded like crap, so hoping to make up for it this time around. :(

I would try and pickup at least 1 more I'm running 4 ab XFLS 12"d2s on a dc5k daily. subs up port back in my 2000 mountaineer. All I have to say is box is super important first box I built for them in Tiburon was loud but after I had someone design a good box for me it is way louder and plays with authority From 20-60 hz

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

Archived