Could it be my alternator?

if you look above the last pic, i said "Clamped with rpm at 1700 and all the load i could put on it (ac, blinkers, defrost... Couldnt play the sub because im at work at the moment"

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

yes. when i come to a stop sign or stop light, my voltage drops to 12.9. my car idles lower than the turn on rpm of the alt. have talked to mechman and i already have the smallest pulley. the only thing i could do is send it in to get it wound so the turn on will be earlier, but they said id loose output at higher rpm

Yup... not a fan.

Most will say to get the LARGEST alt you can fit... what they dont know is, it will not even make amperage till some silly turn on.....

Fuck that... my hairpin 270 only does like 266 on music, .. but id does 230 at 500rpm, team that with the big 370, .. i love it.

Go do your same tests, and rev that fucker to 2300 rpm.... and report back.

EDIT- imho, you give up a lil bit of max output, for more of a "friendly, daily" turn on... its not like your running 20k and need it anyway.

Just me.....

If all else fails, i will, but my alt is buried in my engine so id need to pay to get it taken out, send it in and be without a car for a couple weeks, then pay to get it put back in. Trying to avoid that if possible

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

if you look above the last pic, i said "Clamped with rpm at 1700 and all the load i could put on it (ac, blinkers, defrost... Couldnt play the sub because im at work at the moment"

run your stereo full, and rev that fucker to 2500, and report back....... ill bet you see something...

EDIT- 1700rpm is around where my 370 starts to come alive...... And 2k the thing goes ham...

the smaller 270 is a different animal

also, just because your running their smallest pulley, means nothing if your crank pulley is not helping.....

soooo much to get shit to work right bro...... so much...

(ill be your stock alt charges better than the aftermarket... ive been there)

what would you suggest i do? smaller crank pulley?

and ill test at 2500 rpm soon and report back... thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

what would you suggest i do? smaller crank pulley?

and ill test at 2500 rpm soon and report back... thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.

Go rev up, and have someone watching the meter. Play in and out of your band, safely of course,... and come back and show whats up.

(i actually like this shit,.. testing and shit)

(ill be your stock alt charges better than the aftermarket... ive been there)

Me too. Damn eBay. Then I wised up and paid for a Irragi Alt. Yeah yeah. This was in... 2002? Idle output was through the roof and I was a happy camper for years to come.

As was said, I'd like to see some 2500rpm numbers too.

Lesson learned, you've REALLY gotta watch your idle output when shopping for a high output alternator. For a daily driver at least.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

went to a parking and clamped again...

rpm at 2600, subs playing 35hz tone full tilt, voltage holding at 13.7, clamp read 30.5A

IMG_10701.jpg

same rpm, tone, voltage, clamped at the amp, read 53.2

IMG_10721.jpg

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

should i wire down to half ohm, when my voltage REALLY drops, and clamp it then? when its at half ohm, i drop in the 12s not even full tilt...

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

First of all, i think the problem is likely with the charging issue with your car. Get that shit figured out.

Dumb question, but it hasn't been asked yet. You were doing all of this comparing between your friend's car and yours. Were you using the same box, subs, etc in both tests?

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived