Could it be my alternator?

so it could be me, but I think I should have better voltage than I am seeing.

My friend and I both have unibody cars. We both have 2 batteries in the trunk, but I have 2 runs of 0 gauge to the back, he has 1. I have a better battery up front, and I have a 240a mechman alt, he has a stock alt. so I do have better equipment, but he has better voltage than I do. Also, we both have big 4 done with 0 gauge.

I hooked up his amp in my car (sundown scv3000) so current draw is the same. At half ohm in his car, he doesn't go below 13.4v. At half ohm in my car, I'm dropping in the 12's and it's not even all the way up. If I turn it up more, it will go into the 11's /:

Both times amp is tuned with dd-1

Could it be that my alt is not putting out what it should? Because I feel I should have if not the same, better voltage than he does. Any ideas?

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Different car's electrical systems have different draws.

Unless it's the same make/model/year/accessory package/color/milage/astrological sign the same things will be different in a different car.

tl;dr- different things are different

Make sure grounds have good continuity. But as said, different vehicles, different things. Different enclosures/air space etc.. different impedance rises as well

Ok. Well comparing cars aside, does it seem like my electrical is where it should be? I have it at 2 ohm right now and I still drop in the low 13's.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

I have an xs power d3400 up front, xs power xp3000 & kinetic hc1400 in back. Had all batteries load tested before I put them in and they checked out good. Xp3000 rests at 12.9 and hc1400 rests at 12.7. When I turn my car to accessory, and my volt meter reads the batteries, it reads 12.8 before I start my car.

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Clamp your alternator. Have someone hold rpm's around 2k and run a tone to see what the alternators output is. Unless you have a local shop to load test it

He might have his meter connected in the front and you have yours in the back which would explain the difference in voltage drop?

The more runs of wire you have the quicker it draws from all batteries, with just one run from front to back you have a restriction where the back batteries will have more draw on them, but the front sees a constant draw to the back as the restriction allows only so much current to run through.

With a 240 amp alt, having 2 runs from front to back makes no sense as your only able to have 240a available and wire capable of carrying 600a, i really do not know if that is what is happening in your situation.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

His meter is through a ct sounds gain knob. Mine is at the amps. And I have 2 runs because it's cca, and it leaves me room to upgrade in the future

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

How do I clamp it? My alt is buried in my engine. Can barely even see it. To get it out, I have to remove passenger side tire, disconnect sway bar link, and tie rod end. It's is a huge pita

Fi Team 18's (4)
Crossfire 16k
Crossfire 400.4 & 800.4
Pioneer AVH-X491bhs
140ah cmax
CES 320's (2)

Archived