Second Skin Audio

Tips To Get The Most Of Your Box.

PaulO2288

I still wanna know how spl2k came to those conclusions...Not doubting him, just curious because I always thought those things were needed for a powerful spl application.

for fear of pissin anyone else off, i think what he meant to say is that they havn't worked for him in his builds. the physics still stands solid though chaps. a euro champion i've met, stanny, his entire extreme build is made from 1/4" steel plate doubled with 2x2" steel frame work behind it. it is seam welded together. steel obviously doesn't accept any air into it's surface. in the finn's 6th order in the volvo, marco was sticking squares of 60 grit sand paper to the walls of the interior in predetermined places before their runs to alter the wave path by fractions. they also had temperature control for both inner and outer chambers to change the wave length of their 50hz peak note trough out the chambers. the whole build was steel and the interior was mdf lined, generously coated with glass smooth resin. they didn't want any of the pressure to be lost into the surfaces. this cab was so efficient it was unreal.

get this: 178odd db at 148000wrms for peak scores on the day. 174odd db at 4000wrms for death match. yep u can read that again if u like! marco said they could run for days at 174db with no fails! Henry :)

Live, eat, breath low frequency reproduction. Friend of all the creatures in the sea!

well constructed with no leaks and braced if need be (use wood glue and not liquid nails...and go easy on the screws)

Please explain this...

TeamSundown-3.jpgTeamNemesislogo.jpg

If you build it, db's will come...

NSPL World Record Holder Trunk 0-1800 watts---147.9 with 1722 clamped watts @ 40Hz(9-20-09).

Competition Only Record Holder Trunk 0-500 watts---148.1

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE

Currently Rebuilding....

My 150db Plus Trunk Build

I do box designs.

[benH] 6:24 pm: clipping doesn't really hurt subs

[benH] 6:24 pm: being an idiot is what blows subs

Please explain this...

well constructed suggests that all panels are true and straight cut. this allows a leak free design in it's self. plus hopefully u will seal all the internal edges after the build anyway to ensure correct acoustic function of your cab. the wood glue is the best stuff for building with as it soaks into the surface of the wood and bonds with ridiculous strength. 'stronger than the wood it's self' cans of pva often state on the side. liquid nails, well in england, that consists of a gun tube with some kind of grab contact adhesive in it :( . great for sticking skirting boards round your lounge but not so good for a super strong wood joint! it is better really to use a nail gun than screws for the most part on a well glued box as screws displace and damage the edge of the wood. the thin pin like nails from a gun merely hold panels in place with next to no damage for the glue to make the main bond. obviously if u need an edge pulled up tight or a major brace secured then u're gonna need screws. if u don't got's no nail gun and a trusty airline then down to the hardware sto u go for some screws! in the screwed box case, the wood glue will be stronger than the screws simply over area so go easy on the screws as not to fcuk up your beautifully cut panels. on mdf box's i do like to screw the pannels together in places, personally, as the wood is sh!te for splitting in layers. ie: the glue only holds the first mm down solid and a screw will sandwich the the remaining layers down with it. birch ply box's need only to be pinned and glued really. hope that helps dude Henry :)

Live, eat, breath low frequency reproduction. Friend of all the creatures in the sea!

something I would like to add

-some subwoofers just don't perform well in ported/sealed boxes.

-in a ported enclosure, i think it is always better to give each sub the right amount of air space instead of trying to stuff

as many subs in as possible.

-keep your subs as far away from the port as possible

Archived