Second Skin Audio

Tips To Get The Most Of Your Box.

PaulO2288

Well my buddy was asking me what im louder with my 2 12"s than he is with 3 15"s and I told him its the way i have mine setup and my box. He has a prefab box with 3 15"s CVX's off of a zx2500.1. I told him the way you have your box postitioned has a lot to do with it. He had his subs faceing up and it was ok, so I asked if I can play around with it and I took the box and faced it to where the subs face back and it made a huge difference significantly louder. Than I told him how you design the box and how well you build it. The first tip I gave him was have it well built, Everything square and everything fits together good. Seal all air leaks (Caulk, Resin) Have the box smooth as possible, less air turbulance the better. Little if none obsructions in the box. 45" The corners to help air flow. And my last one was resin the box which I just recnetly did and deffintally can tell it got louder. Any tips anyone has I can help and give to my buddy to help him understand some more? Just trying to help him out some.

all of it is so different for different cars/setups....sometimes 45s hurt and ive heard of people loosing a couple of tenths because of resin (that was for pure spl though).

here is what i can come up with:

get a loud vehicle...lol (crx/suv)

proper box with a proper size port

well constructed with no leaks and braced if need be (use wood glue and not liquid nails...and go easy on the screws)

play with sub and port positions

good equipment

gains set properly

test test test...with different boxes and positions

i likes me some audio stuff...

amatt basically nailed it. i wanna put an emphasis on the testing parts. you may need to rebuild a couple times with different setups to get the best output.

round over the ports too. on the inside and outside. if not, it could cause some 'hissing' from the air whipping around the sharp edges. that's what i've heard

amatt basically nailed it. i wanna put an emphasis on the testing parts. you may need to rebuild a couple times with different setups to get the best output.

round over the ports too. on the inside and outside. if not, it could cause some 'hissing' from the air whipping around the sharp edges. that's what i've heard

yeah mang, vent velocity distortion is a bitch!

as for fibre glassing the inside of the cab, if the cab is correct then a resin seal inseide will not loose u spl. it will only gain.

if it looses db then the cab was wrong in the first place. Henry :D

Live, eat, breath low frequency reproduction. Friend of all the creatures in the sea!

45's almost always hurts.

Bracing a ported box always hurts.

Resin almost never helps.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

yea, i have heard that before....like its better to double or triple layer every side and maybe lay some glass down then it is to brace it for spl purposes, and if you do brace it, use thread rod, but run the rod through some snug pvc to make it nice and smooth. but for a daily driven application, i dont think bracing would be TOO detrimental...

i likes me some audio stuff...

Wow, See now I learned something too. Im just trying to give him any tips possible because now he wants to build his own box. I think its great he wants to improve but any tips and tricks you can do is always good to have in your aresenal to building a box.

Archived