Sundown Audio

Amp not getting proper voltage

JakeMN

my hopeful cheap fix guess would be that you blew the fuses on the sundown amp the 2nd time around but who knows

the incriminator doesnt have any fusing on it so I hope you didnt blow it but have you checked your inline fuse again?

Fuse is intact and giving me proper voltage.

Bass head in training. Trying to learn everything I can.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Synergy Audio WFO 15.1 V2 (Prototype)

Sundown X12

It's connected to 2 pieces of sheet metal that are near the unibody. I'm not sure if I checked the continuity of the ground right yesterday either. I hooked up my DMM, changed it to ohms, and then put the negative on the ground and positive on the power wire while it was not hooked up to the amp and it was reading 0 ohms. Normally it will say L for low signal but it was sitting at 0.

That's not how you check continuity for ground. You checked continuity for power to a ground (shorted power to ground). Good thing it wasn't hooked up to the amp or that would be a dead amp after that. You probably got a little spark or something, and I'm surprised that didn't blow your fuse.

Continuity for ground is ground to ground. One probe on ground wire or ground to amp, the other to the point you're grounding on, and you want zero ohms (subtracting any resistance that might be in the test leads. And no, fusing low won't hurt the amp at all. It just means the fuse will blow if the amp is trying to pull more than 80A.

I would try finding a better ground than that sheet metal. A strut tower or if you have a piece of the unibody that runs the length of the car (in which case big 3/4/5 grounds should be ground to that as well. I think your ground is not good enough and that's why your voltage is dropping so low. Make a check at the amp with the car and amp off, I bet it will be 12-13VDC, and then turn the car on and check it at the amp again and I imagine it will be too low.

Could be wrong though.

my hopeful cheap fix guess would be that you blew the fuses on the sundown amp the 2nd time around but who knows

the incriminator doesnt have any fusing on it so I hope you didnt blow it but have you checked your inline fuse again?

fuses never blew on the sundown and my 80amp fuse is still good to go.. I even touched the probe to the end of the fuse and grounded the other probe and got a 14.4 reading..

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

It's connected to 2 pieces of sheet metal that are near the unibody. I'm not sure if I checked the continuity of the ground right yesterday either. I hooked up my DMM, changed it to ohms, and then put the negative on the ground and positive on the power wire while it was not hooked up to the amp and it was reading 0 ohms. Normally it will say L for low signal but it was sitting at 0.

That's not how you check continuity for ground. You checked continuity for power to a ground (shorted power to ground). Good thing it wasn't hooked up to the amp or that would be a dead amp after that. You probably got a little spark or something, and I'm surprised that didn't blow your fuse.

Continuity for ground is ground to ground. One probe on ground wire or ground to amp, the other to the point you're grounding on, and you want zero ohms (subtracting any resistance that might be in the test leads. And no, fusing low won't hurt the amp at all. It just means the fuse will blow if the amp is trying to pull more than 80A.

I would try finding a better ground than that sheet metal. A strut tower or if you have a piece of the unibody that runs the length of the car (in which case big 3/4/5 grounds should be ground to that as well. I think your ground is not good enough and that's why your voltage is dropping so low. Make a check at the amp with the car and amp off, I bet it will be 12-13VDC, and then turn the car on and check it at the amp again and I imagine it will be too low.

Could be wrong though.

When I say sheet metal I mean part of the trunk. I do have 2 stock grounds on both sides of the trunk walls. Would you suggest tapping into those? Maybe upgrading the wiring for those grounds later on or should I just figure out where they're going and tap into the unibody right next to it. I'll check the ground the way you said too and try moving my ground. I'll get pics of it later tonight hopefully.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

Find out where either one or both of those grounds is going, and clean it and the surface it's on, and add your ground to it if you can,even if you have to swap in a longer bolt. If that's not possible, then just add your ground close by to it.

Will do. I appreciate all of the help!

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

Pics of wiring/grounds

Could be wrong though.

Added pics of everything including DMM readings... So I'm not thinking my ground is the problem, I connected the positive probe to the amp ground and negative probe to the ground on my car and it read .01/.0. If you guys are still thinking it is I can try and relocate it but this doesn't even make sense unless this is what happens when an amp blows up.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

Archived