Sundown Audio

Amp not getting proper voltage

JakeMN

Replace your power wire and see if that helps, had a friend who had the same problem, I replaced the power wire and it worked, also check to make sure your connections up front are tight and free of corrosion...

considering the power wire is 2 months old would you still recommend to replace it? It's knu's flex cca 4ga.. I was thinking about running 0ga ofc shca just for the hell of it but 1000w rms I don't think would require that much.

It could be but why not, if you can afford to replace it I would, but on another note, I would take the amp out and test it straight at the battery, if it works, then it could be your ground or your power wire....

i bet his amp is bad. if voltage is present while disconnected and disappears when connected the power supply in the amp is probably bad. send for service. it happens.

This is the second amp I've blown in like 2-3 months.. Sae-1000d took a month to blow and they're sending it to dbr to get fixed for free.. Now this one is blown.. Wtf. I either have low voltage and need to do the big 3 and/or upgrade stock battery to a d3400 probably..

I was really hoping it wasn't blown but I'm just gonna have to accept that it is lol.

Bass head in training. Trying to learn everything I can.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Synergy Audio WFO 15.1 V2 (Prototype)

Sundown X12

i would guess you have a bad ground connection or a low voltage issue. if your voltage is dropping with deep notes then the low-voltage power supply is probably the suspect. send it back for repair and check/change your electrical issues.

Sounds like the amplifier was powered on with the positive on the negative and the negative on the positive.

It died while driving so that's not the case. I'm just thinking low voltage killed it... I haven't done the big 3 yet, little intimidated considering it's a 2014 and this is the first sub and amp I've ever installed.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

Unless you put the alt positive on a ground, you can't screw up the big 3. No reason to be intimidated. But big three doesn't create voltage. If you're getting low voltage without it, you'll have it with it too more than likely. Try big 3, if you still have power issues, get an alt.

Alright awesome. One of my runs is gonna be an inch or two from the engine and exhaust.. Will SHCA 1/0 melt? I believe I need the big 3 because it's more surges I feel like.. I have a 140amp alternator.. that should be able to handle 1200 watts.. The gain on the IA 10.1 before it blew was literally under a quarter.. I'd say 1/8 maybe a 1/6th of the way up.. I'm still planning on relocating my grounds but I don't think that's the issue.. My stock battery ground is like 10gauge wire.. so the big 3 will hopefully help a lot.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

No such thing as too much wire :good:

A fuse isn't going to "control" how much current goes through it.

The amp will pull what it wants, regardless of the fuse.

If the fuse is too small for that current, it will get hot and resistive. That extra resistance will cause a voltage drop which could negatively affect the amp.

Have you seen any heat damage on the fuse or fuse holder?

Load test the battery to make sure its OK.

Take a separate battery or other power source (separate wires too) and connect it to the amp (carefully) and see if it shows the same symptoms.

This will take all your wiring out of the equation.

With the amp disconnected, use your DMM on ohms and measure the input resistance at the power terminals.

Should be a rather high reading, if its in the ohm-range then there is definitely a short in the amp's power supply.

That sounds like a massive current draw if the amp is pulling your voltage down that far. Is the amp getting hot at all while doing this?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

No such thing as too much wire :good:

A fuse isn't going to "control" how much current goes through it.

The amp will pull what it wants, regardless of the fuse.

If the fuse is too small for that current, it will get hot and resistive. That extra resistance will cause a voltage drop which could negatively affect the amp.

Have you seen any heat damage on the fuse or fuse holder?

Load test the battery to make sure its OK.

Take a separate battery or other power source (separate wires too) and connect it to the amp (carefully) and see if it shows the same symptoms.

This will take all your wiring out of the equation.

With the amp disconnected, use your DMM on ohms and measure the input resistance at the power terminals.

Should be a rather high reading, if its in the ohm-range then there is definitely a short in the amp's power supply.

That sounds like a massive current draw if the amp is pulling your voltage down that far. Is the amp getting hot at all while doing this?

The amp was getting pretty damn hot while this was happening even with the vain that low. I re-hooked it up a few times in a few days just to troubleshoot and measure a few things and sometimes it read anywhere from like 2.4-6.6 over those few days.

So take a reading at my battery terminals with my dmm set to ohms? How high of a number should I expect to see?

I'll try your other suggestions this weekend..

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Sundown X12

Archived