2006 mazda3 alternator

I have a few questions if u guys dont mind answering please.

if i do a high output alt (170a stock is 90a) do i need to do anything besides install? I dont want to fry anything.

and if someone could point me towards an inexpensive alt that would be awesome ive seem them go for ~300-600$ and im just looking for something closer to the 300$ range.

thanks guys!

P.s. should i do the big 3 as well while im under there? This is my daily and while i do pound around town i still need to be a reliable as oem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

If you're going to be upgrading your stock alternator to a higher amperage one I would recommend doing The Big 3. By doing that you'll allow the higher current to travel through the path of least resistance, which will relieve stress off the factory charge wire to prevent blowing the main alternator fuse.

As far as the alternator for your vehicle, I would contact Mike over at Singer Alternators and see if he has any options for you. I know he's done more Mazda alternators that anyone else.

Here's a tutorial on the Big 3 for you - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/13280-how-to-do-the-big-3-tutorial/

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you have your solution then...

And even on stock alt, I would do big three when adding aftermarket electronics, just because you never know when I might get an itch for an alternator that can supply with me a little more. By that point, live already got one thing less to do when you get an alt

Hey there,

If you're going to be upgrading your stock alternator to a higher amperage one I would recommend doing The Big 3. By doing that you'll allow the higher current to travel through the path of least resistance, which will relieve stress off the factory charge wire to prevent blowing the main alternator fuse.

As far as the alternator for your vehicle, I would contact Mike over at Singer Alternators and see if he has any options for you. I know he's done more Mazda alternators that anyone else.

Here's a tutorial on the Big 3 for you - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/13280-how-to-do-the-big-3-tutorial/

Thanks Anthony.... :)

edit- where all in the same boat,... just wanting help. Bad ass of you. :)

Archived