Second Skin Audio

Two jbl gt5-15 ported enclosure.

So I am looking at getting two of these and building a ported enclosure for them. I am not sure what tuning/size would be best for these drivers. I am putting them in a 2005 dakota club cab and powering them with my current amp a rockford r500x1d that puts out about 614w according to the birthsheet. The subs are 300w rms a piece and say they are ideal in a 3.5ft ported enclosure per sub. That means that I am looking at a 7ft enclosure. I would like to have the subs and port face up and keep the height (sub baffle) around 16.5 inches. The box could then be 20 to 23 tall (deep) and around 40-43 wide.

I know there are better subs out there but financially subs and boxes are pretty low on my list of priorities but I love having a system in my car or truck and want to go from 1x12 to two 15's. That also makes shelling out more for a more powerful amp low on that list as well so I would like to work within those specs.

I have tried to make a few designs on the RE Box Calculator but do not know much about port width/length and tuning. If any of you guys have any suggestions as to what those dimensions should be I would appreciate any help.

I tried to mess around with WINISD and I think I do not know enough\ yet to come up with anything good on there. Here are the specs on the sub.

http://www.jbl.com/car-subwoofers/GT5-15.html

I am open to suggestions on something that may sound better but it would have to be in the same price range. The jbl's are 80 a piece. Thanks

Wow man that is awesome. I really appreciate you taking the time to do all of that. So in the figure the way it shows it I want the height to be the 23 and the depth to be the 16.5. Width is correct. I think I can figure out how to adjust the cuts to match that. Sorry if I was a little confusing in the dimensions I didn't quite know how to describe it. Thanks.

Yeah I just realized that laid out that way I would only be able to fit it with the subs and port facing the rear. I am not sure how to adjust the port lenghts and widths to maintain the same tuning and internal size. Any help would be appreciated. I feel bad asking after you already did all of that.

Yeah I just realized that laid out that way I would only be able to fit it with the subs and port facing the rear. I am not sure how to adjust the port lenghts and widths to maintain the same tuning and internal size. Any help would be appreciated. I feel bad asking after you already did all of that.

It's fixed now above, if you need any other changes, let me know.

It's fixed now above, if you need any other changes, let me know.

Very cool of you Joe X. I see you do this for lots of people. Good lookin' out man!

You shouldn't have any issues in the operating conditions you intend to run your setup even without a subsonic filter but if you wanted some extra protection look into the Harrison Labs fmod passives, those are installed between the audio input line and the amp, are pretty inexpensive also.

Archived