Second Skin Audio

Loudest SPL/SQL sealed set up

akuma4u

You haven't mentioned a budget, so I looked up digital designs woofers and they recommend 1.75-2.75 cubic feet for a single 12" woofer. You could go with three 10" woofers but they recommend a minimum of 3.75 cubes which is obviously way too big.

Digital designs has a well known SPL pedigree. You mentioned 1,500 watts to one 12 which happens to fit the 712 series PERFECTLY. The woofer has an MSRP of $370 but you should never be paying MSRP. After box rise, and voltage drop, you probably won't be clamping the full 1,500 watts and DD subs are underrated anyways so the 712 will be fine with the 1,500 watt amp.

There are other woofers you could get, but I'm just giving you examples of what I would do.

ok so i spoke to Dd audio , they recommended me to run the single 12 ported in 2.25-2.5 cubes and run either the 712, or the T2 3512 or 2 of the sw 2508s

the guy told me he prefers the ts 3512 and said that would get the loudest but then again is also the most expensive.

so im prob gonna get one of those just as soon as i can confirm some stuff about some sundown subs and the AA havok cuz i was told those would sound good in my limited space as well.

You have 2 12s that work pretty well in sealed now, if you are doing a single 12" you have to get something really nice or is not going to be better enough if at all.

thats exactly my fear. Is to spend all the time and money buying a single 12 and building a ported box and then at the end im just like "meh its just a tad bit louder or deeper than my 2 12s sealed" .. in order to justify the time and money i will invest into a new sub stage set up, i must make sure that the 1 12 ported will blow the 2 12 w3s sealed out of the water, not by a bit but i mean i want a HUGE increase in output.

I did ask the DD tech this on the phone yesterday and he laughed and said the single 12 712 or ts 3512 ported would kill the 2 12 w3s sealed. Not saying he is lying.. but he is in the sales field so.. lol

Ported is louder than sealed in general more cone area = louder you were correct. Electrical is important too as far as making sure your giving the amp enough current. SA is more SPL than SQ. DD is a nice sub can't really go wrong there. Make sure you get a quality amp with a lot of overhead you don't want to be pushing the amp to just run the rms as most subs rms are on the low side. I' am running two Tantric MD's rated at 750 with a 2200 and giving it every bit of that amp. Anything under 2 cubes ported per 12 is not enough.

Vehicle: 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Gold Edition

Headunit: Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Front: Polk DB461

Rear: Infinity Kappa 693.11i

Speaker amp: Kenwood Excelon 4/100-4

Sub Stage: Dual 12" Tantric MD's in a 3.2 sealed Cherrycustoms box

Sub Amp: Sound Qubed Q1-2200D

Amp Wiring: Sky High 0 gauge OFC, Sky High 4 gauge OFC and Knuconceptz Krystal RCA Kables

Big 3 Wiring: Sky High 0 gauge OFC

Second battery-Sprinter S12V285F 83ah and H/O Singer 320 alt

Ported is louder than sealed in general more cone area = louder you were correct. Electrical is important too as far as making sure your giving the amp enough current. SA is more SPL than SQ. DD is a nice sub can't really go wrong there. Make sure you get a quality amp with a lot of overhead you don't want to be pushing the amp to just run the rms as most subs rms are on the low side. I' am running two Tantric MD's rated at 750 with a 2200 and giving it every bit of that amp. Anything under 2 cubes ported per 12 is not enough.

Amp Wiring: Sky High 0 gauge OFC, Sky High 4 gauge OFC and Knuconceptz Krystal RCA Kables

yes ported is louder than sealed but is 2 sealed louder than 1 ported? im hearing both yes and no on this question. Some say the extra cone area from the 2 12s sealed will make for a louder set up compared to the 1 12 ported. But then others say the increased output in a ported box plus a better woofer that can handle 1000-1500rms would make for a louder set up over 2 12s sealed.

1 ported 18" sub hit over 170db, so... Yeah.

If your choices are two 12" subs in a sealed box that doesn't give the subs room to breathe on 1,500 watts, or one 12" subwoofer in a properly tuned and ported box with plenty of room to let it breathe and the same amount of wattage, you're going to be much more satisfied with the single ported twelve.

Now the question is, are you going for numbers, or do you want that low rumbly bass? If you want high numbers, tune it for ~42hz. If you want that deep rumbly bass, tune it for 32-36hz.

The 3512 is definitely better than the 712, but I didn't recommend it because of the price increase.

GET A GOOD AMP! I don't care what the amp is "rated for." RMS is the only thing you need to care about!

The DD M5 is "technically" a 10,000 watt amp. But you might only see 6k watts at 1ohm due to impedance rise.

Once again, I always recommend DD because I love their shit. The M1 amplifier happens to be rated at 1,700 watts at 14.4volts. It even comes with a voltmeter you can install in your car and I've heard it's pretty damn accurate.

Anything that lets you see your voltage is very important. It's like a fuel air and boost gauge in a turbo car. If your voltage suddenly spikes too high or drops too low, it can wreck your entire investment.

yes ported is louder than sealed but is 2 sealed louder than 1 ported? im hearing both yes and no on this question. Some say the extra cone area from the 2 12s sealed will make for a louder set up compared to the 1 12 ported. But then others say the increased output in a ported box plus a better woofer that can handle 1000-1500rms would make for a louder set up over 2 12s sealed.

Its not as simple as "what's louder". A ported box can greatly boost output around its tuning frequency. So with the proper ported box, on frequencies around its tuning, the ported box could be more efficient. However much above or below the ported boxes' tuning frequency the sealed box with two subs could be more efficient. Also the sealed box could potentially handle at least twice the power.

With the above in mind, if you are after powerful, low frequency bass, the single sub in a ported enclosure would be my recommendation.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived