Second Skin Audio

Loudest SPL/SQL sealed set up

akuma4u

Hey i need some advice.. i want to know what the loudest SPL/SQL set up for 2-2.25 cubes MAX would be ,

2 12s sealed

1 12 ported

3 10s sealed

there are many options..

there are many combos but what subs would sound the best and get the loudest in that small space? I got a genesis coupe and the trunk is super small..

also would it be better to run 1 12 inch 1500 wrms sub or 3 500 watt 10 inch subs? More cone area the better right? cone area > Watts RMS ?

i do see the sundown ZV3 12s can be run sealed with only 1 cube according to the site,. i was thinking about running 2 of those sealed? anyone ever run those subs sealed before? i also heard the AA havoks are good in a sealed enclosure...

right now im running 2 12 JL w3v3s sealed in a 2.25 box which is almost the max size of box i can fit in there and it does sound nice, esp after deadening the car, but im looking for more..

I run 2 Sundown SA12's in a 2.8cube box after displacements. They are powered by a saz3500D and the box is tuned to 36hz with 2 4" aeroports. As it sits right now in my 2013 Scion TC I can do a 147+ on the dash all day long. The Genesis is a trunk car, yes? If so I wouldn't expect it to be as loud as that but I would give you my box design if you are interested in going that route. I am getting ready to do an upgrade on electrical and should get louder that way. I am considering changing the sub stage in the vehicle and if I were to do so I would just give you the enclosure if you wanted and you could see if you could make it fit and work in your car.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

I run 2 Sundown SA12's in a 2.8cube box after displacements. They are powered by a saz3500D and the box is tuned to 36hz with 2 4" aeroports. As it sits right now in my 2013 Scion TC I can do a 147+ on the dash all day long. The Genesis is a trunk car, yes? If so I wouldn't expect it to be as loud as that but I would give you my box design if you are interested in going that route. I am getting ready to do an upgrade on electrical and should get louder that way. I am considering changing the sub stage in the vehicle and if I were to do so I would just give you the enclosure if you wanted and you could see if you could make it fit and work in your car.

hey- yes its a trunk car and the only way to make it sound loud is to have the rear seats folded down all the time.. i have seen some people do a mod where they keep the rear seats up and then in the rear metal deck lid (where the factory 8 inch sub is) they cut out a huge hole like 9 x 30 inches) for now im just keeping my seats down though.Gotta keep the seats down or else all the bass gets trapped/stuck in the trunk.

about the SA-12s.. I was going to run those sealed but was told the sa's dont run well in sealed boxes..

I got about 2.5 cubes BEFORE displacements and thats using .75 mdf all the way around with a divider/chamber in the middle. I mayy be able to get 2.6 or 2.7 but to be safe i am going with 2.5 and remember thats before displacements..

so i dont think i could do the 2 sa12s in 2.8 after displacements.. that box would just be too big to fit into my trunk..

on the sundown site it says the 12 inch Zv3 can be run sealed in only 1 cube.. but no idea what that would sound like..

ALWAYS go for one GOOD sub before doing multiple smaller subs.

also for output, ported > sealed.

yes however,. to run a good quality single 12 ported i will need more than 2.5 cubes , unless u know of any 12s that will hit high DBs in 2.5 cubes or less.. if so please list those subs..

hey- yes its a trunk car and the only way to make it sound loud is to have the rear seats folded down all the time.. i have seen some people do a mod where they keep the rear seats up and then in the rear metal deck lid (where the factory 8 inch sub is) they cut out a huge hole like 9 x 30 inches) for now im just keeping my seats down though.Gotta keep the seats down or else all the bass gets trapped/stuck in the trunk.

about the SA-12s.. I was going to run those sealed but was told the sa's dont run well in sealed boxes..

I got about 2.5 cubes BEFORE displacements and thats using .75 mdf all the way around with a divider/chamber in the middle. I mayy be able to get 2.6 or 2.7 but to be safe i am going with 2.5 and remember thats before displacements..

so i dont think i could do the 2 sa12s in 2.8 after displacements.. that box would just be too big to fit into my trunk..

on the sundown site it says the 12 inch Zv3 can be run sealed in only 1 cube.. but no idea what that would sound like..

i just realized u said u could donate the box to me , thats cool bro but im from toronto so dont know how that would work out. Maybe what u can do is tell me the dimensions first..

the main 2 problems with this car is:

1) the opening of the trunk , the mouth of the trunk is so small that the only way to get a box for 12s in there is if they are facing UP as 11 inches height is the max i can go

2) this car has a horrible bass trap trunk.. the only way to get decent bass is by having the seats folded down all the time.. it makes a HUGE difference. its like going from an 8 inch folded up to 2 12s folded down.

You haven't mentioned a budget, so I looked up digital designs woofers and they recommend 1.75-2.75 cubic feet for a single 12" woofer. You could go with three 10" woofers but they recommend a minimum of 3.75 cubes which is obviously way too big.

Digital designs has a well known SPL pedigree. You mentioned 1,500 watts to one 12 which happens to fit the 712 series PERFECTLY. The woofer has an MSRP of $370 but you should never be paying MSRP. After box rise, and voltage drop, you probably won't be clamping the full 1,500 watts and DD subs are underrated anyways so the 712 will be fine with the 1,500 watt amp.

There are other woofers you could get, but I'm just giving you examples of what I would do.

You haven't mentioned a budget, so I looked up digital designs woofers and they recommend 1.75-2.75 cubic feet for a single 12" woofer. You could go with three 10" woofers but they recommend a minimum of 3.75 cubes which is obviously way too big.

Digital designs has a well known SPL pedigree. You mentioned 1,500 watts to one 12 which happens to fit the 712 series PERFECTLY. The woofer has an MSRP of $370 but you should never be paying MSRP. After box rise, and voltage drop, you probably won't be clamping the full 1,500 watts and DD subs are underrated anyways so the 712 will be fine with the 1,500 watt amp.

There are other woofers you could get, but I'm just giving you examples of what I would do.

thanks i will look into this today. and budget is not an issue. im willing to spend any amount to get the job done right once and once only.. im tired of going through sub after sub trying to please myself.. i went through 2 IDMAX 12s sealed, right now i got 2 JL w3s sealed.. which arent bad but i just need MORE.. a big part of the problem with the reduction of bass is the design of my trunk.. its one of those bass trap trunks.. genesis coupe.. i hate it.. the only way to get some bass into the cabin is to fold the rear seats down so the bass can travel through the little 8x 28 inch opening which is basically like a slot port and the trunk is actually like an enclosure itself..

anyways.. ill look into this 712 thanks for the recommendation

Archived