Second Skin Audio

Loudest SPL/SQL sealed set up

akuma4u

Here are the 2x sa-10 and the 2x Fi X 10" together in a plot, this time on 750W power per driver in the box suggested above:

Orange: Fi X 10

Red: Sundown SA-10

sa10.jpg

Inductance is not modeled as is not relevant in the 25-60Hz range of interest, so look 100Hz and below.

It's interesting to see the overall efficiency of the Fi Xs and the SA-10s, flat in the Xs seems not to be at a cost of efficiency.

Here are the 2x sa-10 and the 2x Fi X 10" together in a plot, this time on 750W power per driver:

sa10.jpg

Inductance is not modeled as is not relevant in the relevant frequency range, so look 100Hz and below.

oh shit, that really puts it into perspective, the yellow/orange coloured line is the fi x right? they do outperform the SAs here.

This response graph is in the box you designed right, looks like its tuned to 32 or 34?

if you were to tune it a little higher like 36-38, that would maybe the 40s and on get louder as the peak would be a little further down the bandwidth.

the dual 10 box u designed, is it still manageable to increase the tuning without making the box bigger than the dimensions im able to work with?

just read a review for the fi x on the fi website.. a little concerning:

"well, I bought this sub after owning a: re audio se-x 10, Skar audio VVXV2 10,

first impressions: this subwoofer wasn't seeming to get very loud and violent. BUT, this sub does have some sound quality traits. it obviously doesn't have the pure spl traits, (I feel both the RE and SKAR where louder even though rated at lower RMS even though I added the Bp option).

was Slighty disappointed when buying this subwoofer due to the loss in the expected spl output, but I guess this sub is built well just because it was built in U.S.A.

Cant really complain, but this sub does sound clean.

Before you buy do research on what you want..."

I don't think upping tuning would help with flatness, it can be done though and without increasing box size. May increase "loudness" at a cost of low end, if you listen to low tuned music like rap I would stay at 35Hz or below.

On that review or any review you have to make your mind on what you are reading and take many opinions before deciding, no doubt.

I'm in total agreement with JoeX and think the two FI X10's are going to be the best way for you to go.

I'd take any review you read with a grain of salt. 80% of people really have no clue what they are doing, and you have no idea about how their equipment is setup. For all we know the person who thinks their X10s didn't get as loud as they should had them in a completely inappropriate box or had their amp set incorrectly or any of a 1,000 other possible things was wrong. Also people's ear-o-meters are not known for their accuracy and are easily swayed by preconceived notions. I don't trust anyone's ears, even my own.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I don't think upping tuning would help with flatness, it can be done though and without increasing box size. May increase "loudness" at a cost of low end, if you listen to low tuned music like rap I would stay at 35Hz or below.

On that review or any review you have to make your mind on what you are reading and take many opinions before deciding, no doubt.

i listen to about 2% rap music.. the rest is various forms of electronic music. Ive read that for electronic music tuning to 35-36 hz is ideal. Plus iM totally willing to lose some super low end bass and trade it for loudness.

You aren't going to hear the difference between a 33 and 36 hz tune.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

wouldnt a tune at 36hz play the 40s louder than the tune at 33?

Yes, a 36 hz tuning should be about .7 db louder at 40 Hz than a 33 Hz tuning, at least in theory. However, 3 db is the smallest increase that is discernible by the human ear. So you are never going to know the difference. The lower tuning provides a little more even frequency response, and offers a little more low end performance.

Builds:

i listen to about 2% rap music.. the rest is various forms of electronic music. Ive read that for electronic music tuning to 35-36 hz is ideal. Plus iM totally willing to lose some super low end bass and trade it for loudness.

Not a problem 35Hz, also you can pick any subs you want, but be careful what you wish for, you are coming from a SQ setup, JL on sealed is SQ is pretty much that, ported on a high output sub is a different thing.

wouldnt a tune at 36hz play the 40s louder than the tune at 33?

Yes, a 36 hz tuning should be about .7 db louder at 40 Hz than a 33 Hz tuning, at least in theory. However, 3 db is the smallest increase that is discernible by the human ear. So you are never going to know the difference. The lower tuning provides a little more even frequency response, and offers a little more low end performance.

just thinking almost all head units and amps bass boost setting is a boost at 45hz.. when i boost that it makes it sound pretty damn good, also there is a reason why these companies are choosing 45hz as a frequency to create their bass boosts. it must sound best at that level maybe?

I just dont want to get into a situation where i have a tuned box and/or sub that peaks at a frequency that is too low and basically makes only 10% of the music i have sound damn good but the rest is weak in comparison. I guess this comes back to getting a sub with a flat response lol.. going in circles kinda now.

i just spoke to a guy i know that is a sundown dealer and has his own shop, he is telling me to do a sundown x12 ported or mmmaybe a zv3.

at least i know what subs i have it narrowed down to now..

fi x, icon, x12, zv3, sa 10s, sa 12, ethos is out of stock until the WINTER, chaos.

Archived