Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer dustcap getting hot

Alright. Thanks.

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F-150 STX SuperCab 5.0L V8 4x4

BIG 3: Knukonceptz Kolossus Fleks 0 Gauge OFC Power Amp Kit

Headunit: Stock (Leaving factory look)

Speakers: Stock

Subwoofer: Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 10" D2 wired down to 1 ohm

Enclosure: ~1.5 cubic feet tuned to ~34 Hz (Port Area ~24 inches)

Amplifier(s): Sundown Audio SAE1000.1D

Amp Power Kit: Knukonceptz Complete 4 Gauge OFC Amplifier Installation Kit

Hello fellow bassheads. I am currently running into a heating problem. I started to notice my subwoofer gets warm/hot to touch when playing full tilt for a while (20-30 minutes). I do not smell any electrical burn (burnt coils). Below is a screen shot of torres and what my box size and the tuning frequency. My subwoofer is an Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection D2 10". My amp is a Sundown Audio SAE 1000.1D wired to 1 ohm. Incriminator Audio recommends a box size .9 cubes - 1.5 cubes, 12 - 25 Inches of Port, 28-35 Hz (Average: 1.25 cubes, 18 inches, 28-35 Hz). Is my enclosure too big for the amount of power I am feeding the amp? Or should I have gotten the additional spider and optional 4-layer flat wound coil? Thanks.

Where is your subsonic/infrasonic filter set at? This is usually used to limit excursion (which doesn't seem to be your problem anyways) but it can also prevent inaudibly low frequencies to be amplified which may help cool both the sub and the amp.

Hello fellow bassheads. I am currently running into a heating problem. I started to notice my subwoofer gets warm/hot to touch when playing full tilt for a while (20-30 minutes). I do not smell any electrical burn (burnt coils). Below is a screen shot of torres and what my box size and the tuning frequency. My subwoofer is an Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection D2 10". My amp is a Sundown Audio SAE 1000.1D wired to 1 ohm. Incriminator Audio recommends a box size .9 cubes - 1.5 cubes, 12 - 25 Inches of Port, 28-35 Hz (Average: 1.25 cubes, 18 inches, 28-35 Hz). Is my enclosure too big for the amount of power I am feeding the amp? Or should I have gotten the additional spider and optional 4-layer flat wound coil? Thanks.

Where is your subsonic/infrasonic filter set at? This is usually used to limit excursion (which doesn't seem to be your problem anyways) but it can also prevent inaudibly low frequencies to be amplified which may help cool both the sub and the amp.

I set my subsonic filter at 22Hz. My box is also tuned higher than I though I was tuned to. It's tuned to around 37Hz instead of 32Hz.

You want your subsonic set 1/2 octave below the actual tuning frequency of the enclosure. So if it's currently tuned to 37hz, then 37/2 = 18.5 /2 = 9.25

37 - 9.25 = 27.75

Set subsonic to 28hz

You want your subsonic set 1/2 octave below the actual tuning frequency of the enclosure. So if it's currently tuned to 37hz, then 37/2 = 18.5 /2 = 9.25

37 - 9.25 = 27.75

Set subsonic to 28hz

Right. But I didn't realize until now that my enclosure's tuning frequency was higher than expected. I'll be able to correct it later today or tomorrow down to 32Hz. Then I'll set the subsonic filter to 24Hz.

Archived