Second Skin Audio

How a subwoofer is made

So I spoke with Paul at Springfield Speaker Repair. He told me his company purchased the rights and specs to reproduce the RF 4" coil as well as the remaining US stock of American made cones for their older lines. That was cool to know. Anyway,he only has 8 more RFR 3115 cones left, "after that their all gone and we're not going to reproduce it since the tooling runs about $15,000".

Being curious about why things are the way they are as far as pricing, and to better educate myself, for shits and giggles I looked for the machining necessary to make a cone.

Hopefully this not a repost, but I found a nice video on how a cone is made. Now I have a better understanding of why subs are so expensive. Start up tools cost ALOT of money, especially when you have to make 8",10",15", 18" cones. Then there's testing necessary to make a great sounding sub.

-Frank

good video the best part is at the end the food bowl made me hungry lol

I bet it tasted good as hell

So many vids like this with interesting content have the most annoying music that makes them almost unbearable to watch.

Cool vid. Lame music.

Now I have a headache, and I just know the wife will be begging for sex tonight. Not tonight Gary.

Music wasn't that bad.

I had so much fun rebuilding those RFR3115, I would love to build my own sub.......We can dream!

-Frank

You know, this does open an avenue for me to buy blown subs now if I needed wanted a certain sub for cheap. Think about it!

Archived